“At the University of Bolton, we take great pride in providing a quality, supportive learning environment for our students.”
Professor George E Holmes DL | President & Vice Chancellor
“...tutors are very supportive and you’re not just a student ID number, at this university you are an individual with a name.”
Ellisse Vernon | BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing
Back to menu
Back to menu
Back to menu
Back to menu
On the occasion of the hundred year anniversary of The Great War, the University of Bolton announced the introduction of an award to assist ex-service personnel to study at the University.
The award reflects the 100 years since the beginning of the First World War in 1914. The University of Bolton, being an educational institution established in 1825 is proud to implement the idea and the value of bursaries and scholarships and the University of Bolton is equally proud to continue this award moving forward. Below, are the details of the Military Service Award for the 2021/22 academic year.
This award is offered to ex-service personnel. Students who have completed a minimum of 3 years military service since their eighteenth birthday in the British Armed Forces may apply.
The amount of the award payable is £500 per academic year. The award is payable in arrears (at the end of each academic year).
Terms And Conditions For Eligibility
- In order for an individual to be eligible for the bursary, they must fulfil the following requirements:
- Applicants must have a minimum of three years military service post 18 years of age.
- Students must be enrolled on a full-time taught course at the university, which is to commence in September 2021 or later. This includes Access and Foundation programmes, undergraduate degrees and taught masters programmes.
- Students in receipt of the Military Service Award may be eligible to receive any other awards offered by the university providing they fulfil the award criteria.
- The course must be delivered at the University of Bolton Main Campus and not at a partner or franchise partner college.
- This award is payable in arrears at the end of each academic year and students must have successfully completed their studies during the year on first attempt.
- The value of the award is £500 per academic year.
- The award will be paid for first full-time taught courses only or students progressing to a PG programme having completed an undergraduate degree. If you have previously studied a HE course of study in the past and wish to study at the same level again you will not be eligible.
- Applicants must also meet the general entry requirements for the University and the specific course to which they are applying. All qualifications must be verified by UCAS or by the University
The following categories of students are not eligible to receive the Scholarship.
- Students on NHS funded courses
- Students undertaking industrial or work experience on a full time “sandwich” basis will not be eligible to receive the bursary during their “sandwich” period
- Students studying abroad will not be eligible to receive the bursary during their period of study abroad.
To apply for the award please complete the application form and return this to The Student Funding Team, Student Services, University of Bolton, Deane Road, Bolton, BL3 5AB with a copy of your discharge paper/ military service retired.
- Applications will be accepted throughout the academic year until the deadline of 27 May 2022. Successful applicants will be contacted on or before 30 June 2022.
- Awards for the 21/22 academic year will be paid in July 2022.
For further information and details, you may contact: Mr Jonathan Stackhouse, Student Funding Advisor, or the Bursaries and Scholarships Advisor Mrs Carol Gray email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01204 903497 or 01204 903499
Terms And Conditions
The award of a bursary is entirely at the university’s discretion and the university reserves the right to change the bursary from time to time. Bursary payments are subject to continuing and satisfactory attendance on the course of study, and will be permanently terminated if the student withdraws, transfers to another institution, fails their programme of study, or interrupts or suspends their studies.
Mr Jonathan Stackhouse
Student Funding Advisor
Tel: 01204 903497
Mrs Carol Gray
Bursaries and Scholarships Advisor
Tel: 01204 903499
Last reviewed and updated 19/04/21