You can see your specific information in our country pages regarding entry requirements and your eligibility.
Please search for your course and look under the ‘key information’ tab for specific course requirements.
The university is committed to giving equal consideration to factors other than formal academic qualifications such as work experience and vocational qualifications, so remember to include anything you think is relevant in your application.
If you are applying from a country where your education is not taught in the English language, then you will need to have a suitable English language qualification for the reasons below:
- To make your life in the UK as a student easier
- To enable you to understand your lectures
- To enable you to perform well in written assessments and examinations
- To be able to successfully pass your course
We expect applicants to have passed the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with the following scores:
|International Foundation Programme||5 (must be an IELTS for UKVI)|
|Postgraduate (School of Engineering, School of Creative Industries, School of Sport and Biological Sciences, Health and Wellbeing (non-clinical)||6|
|Postgraduate (School of Arts, School of Education and Psychology, Institute of Management)||6.5|
|Postgraduate (Faculty of Health & Wellbeing (Clinical based courses e.g. MSc Physician Associate Studies ) School of Law, School of Arts (English)).||7.0|
Please note that all IELTS tests are only valid for two years from the date of testing, any qualifications that exceed this will not be accepted. This is a UKVI requirement.
Where Evidence of English Language proficiency is required, we currently accept the following qualifications for admission onto our courses at degree level or above:
- GCSE/O-Level in English from a UK awarding body grade C
- IELTS (Academic) 6.0 (UG), 6.5 (PG) (no less than 5.5 in any component)
- Irish Leaving Certificate Ordinary Level English grade C/C3 or above
- Irish Leaving Certificate Higher Level English grade D/D2 or above
- IGCSE English as a First Language grade C
- IGCSE English as a Second Language grade C
- Internet based TOEFL with an overall score of 72 (UG), 79 (PG) including 17 in Listening, 20 in Writing, 18 in Reading and 18 in Speaking
- International Baccalaureate (Standard Level Grade 5/Higher Level grade 4 in English)
- Cambridge Advanced English Grade C (minimum of “weak” in all four components (listening, reading, speaking and writing)
Alternative International qualifications (taught entirely in English) may also be considered
- Malaysia UCLES 1119 Syllabus Grade C or above
- Singapore Cambridge O/A level Grade C
- WAEC/NECO grade C6 or above
- Zambia Second School Certificate Grade 6 or above
Majority English-Speaking countries
If you are a national of one of the following countries, or have successfully completed an academic qualification at degree level or above from one of these countries, you may be exempt from submitting further evidence of English language proficiency:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- the Bahamas
- New Zealand
- St Kitts and Nevis
- St Lucia
- St Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
You also don’t need to prove your knowledge of English if one of the following apply (Tier 4 Guidance January 2018):
- You’re a national of Canada or any of the countries in the list above
- You have studied in the UK before as a Tier 4 (Child) student
- You’re applying to come to the UK for a study abroad programme as part of a university degree course in the USA
For Tier 4 purposes
If you have completed an academic qualification, which was taught in one of the above listed countries, you must also submit an original statement of comparability from UK NARIC confirming that the qualification meets or exceeds the level of a UK degree.
For Foundation and Pre-sessional English Language courses, only IELTS for UKVI tests taken at an approved IELTS centre are acceptable for those wishing to apply for a Tier 4 visa. Please see the link for UKVI approved test centres in your region.
The English language requirements detailed here are for guidance only. Some courses may have a higher requirement. You should always refer to your offer letter issued by the university as this will detail any English Language requirements specific to the course you have applied for.
If you don’t meet these language requirements, we offer English Language programmes (link to pre-sessional English) from IELTS 4 throughout the year for International students who do not have the required level of English for entry onto one of our programmes. This means that if you do not fulfil the above criteria you may still be given an offer for your chosen programme which will request that you complete an English Language course prior to the start of your degree.
If you have any other English language qualification and would like to know if we accept it please email: ku.c1542200349a.not1542200349lob@l1542200349anoit1542200349anret1542200349ni1542200349the subject of your email should be ‘’ENGLISH LANGUAGE QUALIFICATION CHECK’’.
University of Bolton
What to do next
Book an Open Day
A great chance to look at our facilities, talk to staff and current students.
Search for a course
With hundreds of courses to choose from, your next journey could start right here.