Professor of Technical Textiles at the Institute for Materials Research and Innovation (IMRI), University of Bolton, UK
One of Professor Anand’s major strengths is his heavily involvement in research, consultancy and teaching in technical textiles within the industry in the UK and overseas. He is also Course Director of the Short Intensive Courses in Textiles offered by The Textile Institute, Manchester for the benefit of the Textile Industry.
‘I always endeavour to utilise my research outcomes and outputs in my teaching modules,’ said Prof Anand.
His main areas of research activities include; novel knitted and nonwoven structures for technical applications; healthcare and medical devices; effect of laundering on sensory and mechanical properties of textile materials; composite materials; sportswear and activewear structures; filtration; geotextiles; automotive textiles; and personal protective equipment (PPE). He has published over 220 research papers in the above areas of technical textiles and holds seven patents. He has organised four International Conferences and Exhibitions in medical and healthcare devices (MEDTEX) at Bolton and has organised three conferences each in Czech Republic and Finland.
To date he has attracted over £2.5 million in grants, sponsorships and industrially sponsored research projects. He has completed assignments for ODA, UNDP and was Visiting Professor at the Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi; India in 1984 and 2007 and Institute of Textile Technology, Charlottesville, Virginia, U.S.A. in 1994. He also works as a consultant with UNIDO and has completed a number of assignments as an expert in Jute and Technical Textiles in Dhaka and Manila. He works as a consultant with Bhilwara Group in India in their automotive textiles company Bhilwara Melba De Witte ( BMD ) and knitting company (Maral Overseas).
He was the Chairman of the Board and Council of The Textile Institute from 10thMay, 2008 to 10thMay, 2010 and was honoured with Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) award for services to the Higher Education and the Textile Industry in January 2008.
He was also awarded the Companionship of The Textile Institute ( Comp TI ) award in 2011. This is one of the Institute’s most prestigious honours, and is limited to 50 living members.
- MSc Course in Technical Textiles
- MSc Course in Healthcare and Medical Device
- MSc Course in Geotextiles
- MSc course in Research Methods
Since January, 2015, his major publications and research outputs are as follows:
- Multi-dimensional Visualisation of Sustainable Filtration, J. Howarth and S C Anand, Journal of Industrial Textiles, On line first 23rd March, 2015, DOI: 10.1177/1528083715577937, jit.sagepub.com.
- Chamois Padding for Cycling and Triathlon with Enhanced Healthcare and Wellbeing, S. C. Anand and M. Tomkin, 3-D Fabrics and Their Applications, Conference N.C.State University, Raleigh, U. S. A., 26 to 28 May, 2015.
- Development of Three-dimensional Pressure Relieving Cushions for Prevention of Pressure Sores, S. C. Anand, C. Wood and B. McArdle, 15 Autex World Textile Conference 2015, Bucharest, Romenia, 10 to 12 June, 2015.
- Life Often Hangs by a Thread, S. C. Anand, Keynote Presentation, Annual Conference of Nonwovens Network, Leeds, U.K., 25 June, 2015.
Fully granted patents
- Cushioning Fabric, UK Patent GB 2502867, Date of Publication: 27. 08. 2014.
- Pressure Actuator, UK Patent GB 2473321, Date of Publication: 10 June, 2015.
New patent application
- Chamois Padding for Cycling and Triathlon with Enhanced Healthcare and Wellbeing, Application Number 1500669.5, applied for on 15 January, 2015.
- Predicting the Properties of Needle Punched Nonwovens Using Artificial Neural Network, A.Rawal, A. Majumdar, S.C. Anand and T. H. Shah, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 112, 2009, 3575-3581.
- Are Biopolymers Potential Deodourising Agents in Wound Management? G.Lee, S.C. Anand and S. Rajendran, Journal of Wound Care, Vol. 18, No. 7, July 2009, 290-295.
- A Study of the Modelling and Characterisation of Compression Garments for Hypertrophic Scarring After Burns, Part 1: Modelling of Compression Garments, S.C. Anand, K.K. Goverthanam and D. Gazioglu, Journal of The Textile Institute, 10thJanuary, 2013.
- Part 11 of the above paper: Characterisation of Compression Garments, S.C. Anand, K.K. Goverthanam and D. Gazioglu, Journal of The Textile Institute, 14thNovember, 2012.
- Development of Biodegradable Composite Materials By Using Jute Fibre Reinforcement, M.O.G. Miazi and S.C. Anand, J. Innov. Dev. Strategy, Vol. 7, No. 3, Dec. 2013, 30-35.
- Novel “3-D Spacer” All Fibre Piezoelectric Textiles for Energy Harvesting Applications, N. Soin, T.H. Shah, S.C. Anand et. al. Energy Environ. Sci. Vol. 7, No. 5, 2014, 1670-1679.