Dr Navneet Soin received his PhD in 2012, from the University of Ulster, under the direction of Professor James McLaughlin, OBE, where he worked on the microwave plasma synthesis of vertically aligned few layered graphene nanoflakes and their applications in electrochemical energy generation and storage. He is currently a post-doctoral research fellow at the Knowledge Centre for Materials Chemistry (KCMC), University of Bolton where he is working on polymeric materials and textile structures based energy harvesting. His scientific interests focus on synthesis of carbon nanomaterials for field emission, electrochemical clean energy generation, storage and production of piezoelectric polymeric materials and their applications in textile based energy harvesting. He has published nearly 20 peer reviewed papers (h-index 8) in major international ACS, RSC and IOP journals.
Current research interests
- Polymeric Piezoelectric Materials
- Smart textiles and structures
- Plasma modification of polymers
- Nanostructured carbon allotrope synthesis and applications
- Metal free oxygen reduction materials and graphene based electrochemistry
Awards & Prizes
- Best thesis award, 2012, Faculty of Computing and Engineering, University of Ulster
- Best Paper published at Annual Computing and Engineering Research Faculty Dinner 2011, University of Ulster.
- Best Oral presentation in the materials sciences section at 33 rd Microscopical Society of Ireland (MSI) Symposium, Aug. 2009, Dublin, Ireland.
- Multifunctional nanocomposites of poly(vinylidene fluoride) reinforced by carbon nanotubes and magnetite nanoparticles” C. Tsonos, C. Pandis, N. Soin, D. Sakellari, E. Myrovali, S. Kripotou, A. Kanapitsas, E. Siores, Express Polymer Lett, 2015 (Accepted).
- “Investigation of electromagnetic shielding effectiveness of needle punched nonwoven fabric produced from conductive silver coated staple polyamide fibre” MS Ozen, E Sancak, N Soin, TH Shah, E Siores, The Journal of The Textile Institute, 1-11, 2015 (Accepted)
- “Grape extract assisted green synthesis of reduced graphene oxide for water treatment applications” R. K. Upadhyay, N. Soin, G. Bhattacharaya, S. Saha, A. Barman, S. S. Roy, Mater. Lett., 2015 (Accepted)
- “Plasma modified Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) lubrication of <alpha>-olefin-copolymer impact-modified Polyamide 66” H. Hunke, N. Soin*, A. Gebhard, T.H. Shah, E. Kramer, A. Pascual, A. A. Narasimulu and E. Siores, Wear, 2015, 338, 122-132
- “Low Pressure H2, NH3 Microwave Plasma Treatment of Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) powders: Chemical, Thermal and Wettability analysis” H. Hunke, N. Soin*, T.H. Shah, MSL Karuna, E. Kramer, A. Pascual and E. Siores, Materials, 2015, 8, 2258-2275
- “Influence of plasma pre-treatment of Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) micropowders on the mechanical and tribological performance of Polyethersulfone (PESU)-PTFE compounds” H. Hunke, N. Soin*, T.H. Shah, E. Kramer, A. Pascual and E. Siores, Wear, 2015, 328, 480-487
- “Exclusive self-aligned β-phase PVDF films with abnormal piezoelectric coefficient via phase inversion” N. Soin*, D. Boyer, K. Prashanthi, S. Sharma, A. A. Narasimulu, J. Luo, T. Shah, E. Siores and T. Thundat, ChemComm, 2015, 51, 8257-8260
- “Fast and facile preparation of CTAB based gels and their applications in Au and Ag nanoparticles synthesis” R. K. Upadhyay, N. Soin, A. Burman, S. S. Roy, J. Mater. Chem. Phys., 2015, 156, 105-112.
- “Carboxyl Group Enhanced CO Tolerant GO Supported Pt Catalysts: DFT & Electrochemical Analysis” S. Sharma, M. Groves, J. Fennell, N. Soin, S. Horswell, C. Malardier-Jugroot, Chem. Mater., 2014, 26 (21), 6142-6151
- “Diameter Control of single wall carbon nanotubes synthesized using chemical vapor deposition” S. Roy, R. Bajpai, N. Soin, S. S. Roy, J. A. McLaughlin, Appl. Surf. Sci. 2014, 321, 70-79
- “On the origin of the high capacitance of nitrogen-containing carbon nanotubes in acidic and alkaline electrolytes” O. Ornelas, J.M. Sieben, R. Ruiz-Rosas, E. Morallón, D. C. Amoros, J.Geng, N. Soin, E. Siores, B. G. Johnson, ChemComm, 2014, 50 (77), 11343-11346
- Effect of addition of multiwalled carbon nanotubes on the piezoelectric properties of Polypropylene filaments” D. V. Bayramol, N. Soin, T. H. Shah, R. L. Hadimani, E. Siores, J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol. 2015, 15, 7130-7135
- “Novel “3-D spacer” all fibre piezoelectric textiles for energy harvesting applications” N. Soin*, T. H. Shah, S. C. Anand, J. Geng, W. Pornwannachai, P. Mandal, D. Reid, S. Sharma, R. L. Hadimani, D. V. Bayramol and E. Siores, RSC Energy & Environ. Sci., 2014, 7(5), 1670-1679
- “Graphene Supported Graphone/Graphane Bilayer Nanostructure Material for Spintronics” S. C. Ray, N. Soin, T. Makgato, C. H. Chuang, W. F. Pong, S. S. Roy, S. K. Ghosh, A. M. Strydom & J. A. McLaughlin, Scientific Reports 2014, 4, 3862
- “Role of graphene/metal oxide composite as photocatalyst, adsorbent and disinfectant in water treatment: a review” R. K. Upadhyay, N. Soin, S. S. Roy, RSC Advances, 2014, 4, 3823-3851
- “Novel ZnO nanorod films by chemical solution deposition for planar device applications” D. Singh, A. A. Narasimulu, L. Garci-Gancedo, Y. Q. Fu, N. Soin, G. Shao, J. K. Luo, Nanotechnology, 2013, 24(27), 275601.
- “Continuous production of piezoelectric PVDF fiber for e-textile applications” R. L. Hadimani, D. V. Bayramol, N. Soin, T. Shah, L. Qian, S. Shi, E. Siores, Smart Mater. Struct. 2013, 22 (7), 075017
- “Electrochemical and oxygen reduction properties of pristine and nitrogen-doped few layered graphene nanoflakes (FLGs)” N. Soin, S. S. Roy, S. Sharma, T. Thundat, J. A. D. McLaughlin, J Solid State Electrochem., 2013, 17 (8), 2139
- “Sedimentation behavior in electrorheological fluids based on suspensions of zeolite particles in silicone oil” K. Prekas, T. H. Shah, N. Soin, M. Rangoussi, S. Vassiliadis, E. Siores, J. Colloid Interf Sci, 2013, 401, 58-64
- “Vertically aligned graphene based non-cryogenic bolometer”, K. S. Hazra, N. Soin, A. Yadav, J. A. D. McLaughlin, D. S. Misra (arxiv:1301.1302, 2013)
- “Nanocrystalline Ruthenium Oxide dispersed Few Layered Graphene (FLG) nanoflakes for Supercapacitor electrodes”, N. Soin, S. S Roy, T. Thundat, J. A. D. McLaughlin, S. K. Mitra RSC J. Mater. Chem., 2012, 22, 14944-14950.
- “Thickness dependent electronic structure of ultra-thin tetrahedral amorphous carbon (ta-C) films”, N. Soin, S. S. Roy, S. C. Ray, P. Lemoine, M. A. Rahman, P. D. Maguire, S. K. Mitra, J. A. D. McLaughlin, Thin Solid Films, 2012, 520, 2909-2915.
- “Synthesis and surface engineering of nanomaterials by atmospheric pressure micro plasmas” J. McKenna, J. Patel, S. Mitra, N. Soin, V. Švrček, D. Mariotti, Eur. J. Appl. Phys., 2011, 56, 24020.
- “Graphene oxide for electrochemical sensing applications”, N. Soin, S. Roy, R. Bajpai, P. Bajpai, S. S. Roy, D. S. Misra, J. A. D. McLaughlin, RSC J. Mater. Chem., 2011, 21, 14725-14731.
- “Structural and surface energy studies of nitrogenated tetrahedral amorphous carbon films”, M. A. Rahman, N. Soin, P. D. Maguire, R. D’Sa, S. S. Roy, C. M. O. Mahony, P. Lemoine, R. McCann, S. K. Mitra, J. A. D. McLaughlin, Thin Solid Films, 2011, 520, 294-301.
- “Microstructural and electrochemical properties of vertically aligned few layered graphene (FLG) nanoflakes and their application for Methanol Oxidation”, N. Soin, S. S. Roy, J. A. D. McLaughlin, T. H. Lim, J. Mater. Chem. Phys., 2011, 129 (3), 1051-1057.
- “Enhanced and stable field emission from in-situ Nitrogen doped Few Layered Graphene (FLG) nanoflakes”, N. Soin, S. S. Roy, S. Roy, K. S. Hazra, D. S. Misra, T. H. Lim, C. J. D. Hetherington, J. A. D. McLaughlin, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2011, 115 (13), 5366-5372.
- “Enhanced field emission and improved supercapacitor behaviour obtained from plasma modified bucky paper”, S. Roy, R. Bajpai, N. Soin, P. Bajpai, K. S. Hazra, N. Kulshrestha, S. S. Roy, J. A. D. McLaughlin, D. S. Misra, Small, 2011, 7(5), 688–693.
- “Exploring the fundamental effects of deposition time on the microstructure of graphene nanoflakes by Raman scattering and X-ray diffraction”, N. Soin, S. S. Roy, C. O’Kane, T. H. Lim, C. J. D. Hetherington, J. A. D. McLaughlin, CrystEnggComm, 2011, 13, 312-318.
- “Excitation energy dependence of Raman bands in Multiwalled carbon nanotubes”, N. Soin, S. S. Roy, S. C. Ray, J. A. D. McLaughlin, J. Raman Spectrosc. 2010, 41, 1227-1233.
- “Sputter deposition of highly dispersed Pt nanoparticles on VACNT arrays for fuel cell electrode material”, N. Soin, S. S. Roy, L. Karlsson, J. A. D. McLaughlin, Diamond Relat. Mater. 2010, 19, 595-598.
- “Microstructure and field emission characteristics of ZnO nanoneedles grown by physical vapor deposition”, A. George, P. Kumari, N. Soin, S. S. Roy, J. A. D. McLaughlin, J. Mater. Chem. Phys., 2010, 123, 634-638.
- “The use of nanotube structures in reducing the turn-on voltage in micro-discharges and micro-gas sensors”, M. Tweedie, N. Soin, P. Kumari, S. S. Roy, A. Mathur, C. M. O. Mahony, P. Papakonstantinou, J. A. D. McLaughlin, Proc. SPIE, 2008, 7037, Invited paper at SPIE Optics and Photonics, San Diego, USA (2008).
- “Energy harvesting and storage textiles” N. Soin, T. H. Shah, S. C. Anand in “Handbook of Technical Textiles, Volume 2”, Elsevier (Woodhead Publishers), S. C. Anand, D. Horrocks (Ed.), 2015
- “Preparation and characterisation of PVDF-based nanocomposites” D. V. Bayramol, T. H. Shah, N. Soin, E. Siores in “Synthesis Techniques for Polymer Nanocomposites”, Wiley Publishers, V. Mittal (Ed.), 2014
- Energy Harvesting Piezoelectric three-dimensional spacer structures,
N. Soin, S. C. Anand, T. H. Shah, E. Siores, Patent Number GB2516987 (2015)