The university is committed to equality of opportunity, the pursuit of diversity amongst its staff and student population and a supportive environment for all members of our community. It expects that all staff and students alike will contribute to and actively support the university in working towards the elimination of discrimination and harassment and the promotion of equality of opportunity in terms of access to the university’s services, employment opportunities and support for students in their welfare and education.
In particular, the University of Bolton:
- Promotes a culture of respect for people and welcomes diversity of origin, background and experience amongst our staff and student community as enriching the experience of all those who participate in the life and work of the university.
- Strives to ensure that the work, teaching and learning environment is free from harassment and bullying and that everyone is treated with dignity and respect is an important aspect of ensuring equal opportunities.
- Ensures any acts of discrimination, harassment, bullying or victimisation against employees, students, visitors or contractors are treated as disciplinary offences and will be dealt with under the appropriate university disciplinary procedure.
How do we deliver this?
Equality and Diversity Committee
The university has a formal structure for raising equality and diversity matters through the Equality and Diversity Committee which is the university’s principal vehicle for consultation on equality and diversity matters with responsibility for ensuring that corporate equality objectives are set and met.
Monitor and Evaluate
To monitor and evaluate how we are delivering on equality and diversity the university collects data providing statistical analysis on our staff and student profiles and analysis of our staff and student surveys. We collect this not only to monitor but to actively seek ways in which we can improve as a university. This information is also published on an annual basis in our Equality and Diversity Information Report.
The university has also implemented mandatory equality and diversity training which must be completed by all employees of the university. To ensure that all employees of the university have a good understanding of all equality and diversity matters and are able to act appropriately if they encounter an instance of bullying, harassment, victimisation or discrimination.
The university hosts events such as the recent Celebrating Diversity Day on a regular basis to raise awareness of the issues related to Equality and Diversity and also to celebrate the diversity here at the university. Events such as these are an excellent opportunity for our staff and students to gain a better understanding of different cultures and people with different characteristics. The university also hosts different activities which staff and students can attend to learn about different cultures such as religious festivals.
Equality and Diversity Information Reports:-
- Equality and Diversity Information Report 2013-14
- Equality and Diversity Information Report 2014-15
- Equality and Diversity Information Report 2015-16
- Equality and Diversity Information Report 2016-17
- Equality and Diversity Information Report 2017-18
- Equality and Diversity Information Report 2018-19
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Student Harassment and Bullying Policy
- Harassment and Bullying in the Work Place Policy
- Guidence on Equality Check Process