“At the University of Bolton, we take great pride in providing a quality, supportive learning environment for our students.”
Professor George E Holmes DL | President & Vice Chancellor
“...tutors are very supportive and you’re not just a student ID number, at this university you are an individual with a name.”
Ellisse Vernon | BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing
Back to menu
Back to menu
Near-life™ is a small company making a big impression in the immersive learning content sector, pioneering the use of interactive video for learning.
Near-life’s unique learning technology allows for the creation of filmed scenarios that reflect real life, where the choices a learner makes shape how the narrative unfolds making elearning more immersive, more interactive and more engaging.
Near-life’s impressive client list includes ASDA, USAID, WHO, the NHS and the St Johns Ambulance and their work has been widely acclaimed, including winning the 2018 Learning Technologies Awards.
n late 2018, the Bolton Business Gateway team helped develop a collaboration between the University and Near-life which has continued to grow in breadth and depth.
• The University and Bolton College are users of the Near-Life CREATOR interactive authoring tool, complementing the University’s focus on introducing ‘Simulation’ across its subject offering, with the main focus currently in the field of Nursing.
• Near-life won funding for an Innovate UK project with Greater Manchester Police, which is being supported by the University’s Psychology team.
• Near-life has employed two Bolton graduates on a full-time basis
• Student work experience opportunities have been provided to students from the Arts and Media subject areas, and involved our students in external media events at Home, Manchester and at the and Sheffield Doc Fest
• Near-life’s CEO, Mike Todd, sits on the Industry Advisory Boards for both the Computing and Media subject areas, and has contributed to planned developments in these areas.
• Content production for a Nursing project with UDUS AG, a Swiss-owned health recruitment consultancy, has been provided by Near-life and working with colleagues in the Institute of Management, plans are being made to support a regional SME leadership programme.