“Gain an advanced understanding of the principles and processes of engineering and biology.”
Biomedical & Medical Engineers apply science and engineering to healthcare. You’ll design and build technology that will help diagnose, monitor and treat patients. There are lots of applications for this type of engineering, and you could work across health, engineering, biology, or sports.
Biomedical & Medical Engineering
The Biomedical & Medical Engineering programmes will provide you with the skills, knowledge and experience required to meet the changing engineering needs of the medical profession and healthcare industry. You will gain an advanced understanding of the principles and processes of engineering and biology that are essential for the design, future development and maintenance of medical equipment used by the healthcare industry
The biological aspects of the Medical Engineering programme are taught in one of the University of Bolton’s newest buildings, the Queens Specialist Building. You’ll use laboratories and which have recently been upgraded to industrial and research grade specifications, these include a tissue engineering suite, a class two microbiological suite, and a high-precision instrumentation laboratory.
Studying Biomedical or Medical Engineering at the University of Bolton means working across disciplines related to health, engineering, biology and sports. You will:
- Have opportunities to work with internationally recognised research teams (in areas such as materials and medical devices, as well as biological systems) at the University, through both group and individual projects
- Study real life applications of biomedical devices in a sports science and rehabilitation context, for both elite athletes and members of the public
- Have access to new bespoke facilities such as a state-of-the-art 3D motion capture system (with ground reaction force platforms), isokinetic dynamometer and medical simulation patient
The project is recognised and supported through grants by the Royal Academy of Engineering as following the Engineering Gateway programme endorsed by the Engineering Council.
Students completing an IPEM-accredited degree are deemed to have met part or all of the academic requirements for registration as a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer and are in a strong position to move on to achieve professional engineering status after a period of initial professional development in industry.
- The accredited BEng (Hons) will meet, in part, the exemplifying academic benchmark requirements for registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng) and students will need to complete an approved format of further learning pursuant to the requirements of UK-SPEC.
- The accredited BEng (Hons) will also automatically meet, in full, the exemplifying academic benchmark requirements for registration as an Incorporated Engineer (IEng).
Teaching Intensive, Research Informed
Your education at the University of Bolton is ‘Teaching Intensive, Research Informed’. We embed our research into the curriculum, which means your learning will be inspired by the excellent research taking place all around you. You’ll have the opportunity to graduate with the engineering skills, knowledge and experience you need in a fast-changing medical profession and healthcare industry.
The University of Bolton has an excellent reputation for engineering research, and our work was classed as world leading in the most recent Research Excellence Framework. Read more about Research Degrees here.
The School of Engineering is home to all Biomedical and Medical Engineering courses and activity at the University of Bolton. See the School of Engineering section of this website for information on staff, events, and news.
Interested in collaborating with the University of Bolton? The School of Engineering is always interested in working with other institutions and businesses. Please contact us if you would like further information on collaboration opportunities.
What to do next
Book an Open Day
A great chance to look at our facilities, talk to staff and current students.
Search for a course
With hundreds of courses to choose from, your next journey could start right here.