The Masters (Taught) Excellence Scholarship will be awarded to full-time U.K., EU and International Masters students, irrespective of their financial means, who progress to a University of Bolton Taught Masters Course. There will be a maximum of three awards made in the 2018/19 academic year and applications will be considered in strict date order of receipt.
£1,500 will be paid as a tuition fee waiver.
Eligibility for the scholarship
In order to apply you will need to demonstrate that:
- You have successfully been awarded a 1s Class Honours degree from a UK or EU institution
- You must be studying a full-time 180 credit Masters (taught) MA or MSc course at University of Bolton. PGCE/Cert Ed courses are not eligible courses for this award
- You must not be in receipt of any other award from the university
- You must not be in receipt of any other kind of sponsorship towards your tuition fees for example from an employer
- The course of study must have commenced in September 2018 or later.
- Please note that even though you may fulfil the eligibility for the scholarship this does not guarantee you will receive an award due to the restricted number of awards available.
Applying for the Scholarship
In order to receive the scholarship towards fees students must have completed an application form. The form for the scholarship will be available in the Student Centre, Chancellor’s Mall or can be printed from here
The completed application with photocopies of certificates to show the achievement of the 1st Class Honours Degree can be submitted the Student Centre or posted to:
Masters (Taught) Excellence Scholarship Scheme
University of Bolton
Bolton BL3 5AB
Notification of Award
Students will be notified whether their application has been successful or not via their university e mail address.
The Finance Office will receive confirmation from the Excellence Scholarship team, that you are eligible and will adjust your invoice accordingly.
If you defer entry onto your course of study you will need to re-apply for the Masters (Taught) Excellence Scholarship before commencement of your studies.
If you are not awarded a Scholarship the university has a Student Funding advice team who can advise you on possible alternative sources of funding for postgraduate study:
Ms Karen Bentley: telephone 01204 903497
Mrs Carol Gray: telephone 01204 903499 or
Scholarships will not be paid to students undertaking industrial or work experience on a full time “sandwich” basis. Students studying abroad also will not be eligible to receive the Scholarship.
Please note the deadline for applications for courses commencing September 2018 is 31 October 2018.
Please note the deadline for applications for courses commencing January 2019 is 28 February 2019.
The Excellence Scholarship will be paid for first Taught Masters courses only, not second or subsequent courses.
Please note that meeting the essential criteria does not equate to an entitlement to a scholarship
For further information regarding sources of funding for postgraduate study please visit:
Student Services Version 2 06/11/2017.
Keep in Touch
Student Funding Advisor
Tel: 01204 903497
Bursary and Scholarship Advisor
Tel: 01204 903499