Bolton students are some of the most satisfied in the country, according to the National Student Survey 2017. What makes them so happy with their choice of university? Maybe it’s our commitment to providing the best possible learning experience. Or it could be our multi-million investment in our campus. Or perhaps it’s our focus on employability skills and opportunities. There are a lot of reasons to choose Bolton!
10 reasons to Choose the University of Bolton
- A modern university with a heritage of almost 200 years delivering employer-led courses and education
- Distinctive, student and industry focused courses you won’t find elsewhere
- Dynamic ‘Teaching Intensive, Research Informed’ approach placing our students at the heart of their learning
- Top in Greater Manchester for Student Satisfaction and in the top 50% in the country (National Student Survey 2017)
- Smaller than average class sizes and one-to-one personal support designed to help you throughout your studies
- World-leader in six research areas (Research Excellence Framework 2014)
- One of the most culturally and socially diverse student communities in the country, welcoming students from all backgrounds
- Perfectly situated in a large thriving town, close to Manchester and outstanding local countryside
- Guaranteed university accommodation for all first-year undergraduates at great value for money
- Multi-million pound investments in campus facilities, equipment and student experience
Putting Students First
At the University of Bolton we do everything we can to make sure you have the very best university experience.
Before you even arrive you’ll be paired with a friendly Peer Mentor, who will help you settle in to university life. They can answer any questions you might have, and help you find your way around the campus and town.
Class sizes are smaller than average, which means more personalised learning time for you. You’ll quickly get to know your academic tutors and course mates, and have more opportunities to get answers to any questions you might have.
When you start your course you’ll have a Personal Tutor who will give you one-to-one personal support. You’ll also be looked after by a Peer Assisted Learning Leader – a student on a later year of your course, who can share their experiences and help you succeed in your first year.
With the right support you’ll be inspired to achieve more than you ever thought possible.
Don’t just take our word for it: we came out top in Greater Manchester, and in the top 50% in the UK for ‘student satisfaction’ in the 2016 National Student Survey.
“I’ve decided to continue my studies here because I love it. I’m on first-name terms with all my lecturers, and I’ve been given the chance to get involved with all sorts of things like research,
part-time work and the Bolton Award, which has helped me with all kinds of employment skills, training and experience”
Andy Platt, Current MSc Psychology student and BSc (Hons) Psychology graduate
Teaching Intensive, Research Informed
We’re proud to be ‘Teaching Intensive, Research Informed’.
What this means is that our focus is always on our students. We produce world-leading research in six areas, and this knowledge is immediately transferred to our teaching. You can be confident that what you’re learning is of the very highest quality, as it’s informed by cutting-edge research.
Our dedication to teaching is nationally recognised: the University of Bolton is a top 40 UK university for teaching quality, according to the Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017.
We’re extremely proud of what our students achieve. University of Bolton graduates are now working in some of the world’s greatest movie studios, building the world’s fastest cars, and winning international design awards.
Producing special effects for the latest blockbuster is certainly one of our more glamorous graduate destinations, but there are thousands of other University of Bolton graduates who are in careers which are just as rewarding.
Our courses focus on the skills and experience employers are looking for. You’ll graduate with the knowledge, confidence, and opportunities you need to kick-start a fantastic career.
Bolton Student’s Union exists to make sure you love student life at Bolton.
When you arrive here you will automatically become a member of the SU, meaning you can access any of our societies, sports teams, or become one of our Course Reps. We also arrange ‘Welcome Week’ for all students, to make sure you get settled in as soon as possible. Events this year ranged from walks in rural Rivington to the Chuckle Brothers coming to one of our club nights and everything in between. A lot of these events continue to run throughout the year, with regular comedy nights, ‘unplugged’ nights and events such as The Teaching Awards. We also put on health and well-being events every week during the academic year.
The Student’s Union is run by students for students, with an elected President representing the student voice at the University of Bolton, and campaigning on your behalf to make sure you are treated fairly, with the full backing of the National Union of Students (NUS). Staff in the SU Advice Unit also offer impartial guidance on housing, money and academic issues and are here to support you throughout your studies. So no matter what is happening in your student life, we are always here to help!
Bolton is a large, thriving yet friendly town with a big heart and a great place to live during your time at university. In recent years Bolton has seen some major regeneration and investment benefiting its resident, student and visitor communities. As a student, you can enjoy:
- Modern leisure and retail facilities including a new 9 screen cinema, shops, bars and restaurants
- Renowned and growing cultural scene with nationally acclaimed Octagon Theatre, annual food and drink festival and winter festival
- Lively student nightlife with options for all tastes and interests
- Just 12 miles from Manchester City Centre, home to international arts and sporting events, attractions, shopping and nightlife
- Surrounded by stunning countryside including the West Pennine Moors, Lake District and Peak District
- Excellent transport links locally, nationally and beyond
- Lower cost of living than many other UK cities
Investment in Facilities
We invest heavily in your education, and you can see the results all around the campus.
Recent campus investments include:
- £100,000 on our moot law court
- £2.5 million on a Social Learning Zone
- £10 million on University Technical College Bolton, the UK’s most successful University Technical College
- £13m Queens Specialist Building housing Biological Sciences, Dental, Theatre and Teacher Training courses
- £31 million on the sport, leisure, health and research centre Bolton One
That’s not the end of the story – over the next few years we have ambitious plans for our campus:
- In 2017 we open the National Centre for Motorsport Engineering, providing a world-leading environment for advanced performance engineers, games developers and design engineers
- Our new Institute of Management also opens in 2017 in the heart of the town centre, at the newly developed Bolton Central facility
- The university’s strategic headquarters will soon move to the iconic Le Mans Crescent behind the Town Hall, strengthening the bond between the university and town
- We’ll soon be starting work on a new Student Village with new halls of residence, right in the centre of Bolton.
What to do next
Book an Open Day
A great chance to look at our facilities, talk to staff and current students.
Search for a course
With hundreds of courses to choose from, your next journey could start right here.