Before undertaking a postgraduate course of study it is best to consider how you could fund it. Obtaining funding for postgraduate courses can be difficult. The level of support which you may have experienced at undergraduate level is not available for further study. Postgraduate students therefore normally fund their studies through a number of different options.

TEF Silver Award

Research Councils

You are recommended to apply for funding from Research Councils 1.5 to 2 years before commencement of your course of study.

Research Councils are government funded councils who as part of their remit are responsible for postgraduate funding.

There are 7 councils and the competition for grants is intense. Only a few applicants are successful.

Usually the Councils themselves do not accept direct applications from individual postgraduates though this is not always the case. Research Councils tend to allocate funding to individual departments and institutions and you should enquire directly to the department in the institution in which you want to study.


  1. A) Arts and Humanities (AHRC) –
  2. B) Biotechnology and Biological Sciences –
  3. C) Engineering and Physical Sciences Research –
  4. D) Economic and Social Research Council –
  5. E) Medical Research Council –
  6. F) Natural Environment –
  7. G) Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) –

For research courses please also visit:


The Leverhulme Trust

 For further information regarding funding from the above trust please visit:


Institutional Funding

Most institutions across the UK operate their own bursary and scholarship schemes. This is usually set to the institution’s own set criteria and usually changes on a yearly basis. Applications are made to the relevant department if an award is available.


University Student Support Fund

For UK students. The maximum award available through the Student Support Fund for postgraduate students is £500. In addition to being shown to have a shortfall of income students must have made realistic provisions to support their tuition fees and living costs. The award cannot be used to meet the cost of tuition fees for any postgraduate student.


Alumni Loyalty Discount

The Alumni Loyalty Discount, a tuition fee waiver of £1,000, will be awarded to full-time and part-time UK and EU. Masters students, irrespective of their financial means, who progress to a University of Bolton Taught Masters Course, having first completed an undergraduate Higher Education or PGCE/PGDE/PDE/Cert Ed course of study at University of Bolton. You must also have registered to become a member of the Bolton Alumni and Friends Association (BAFA). Available for full 180 credit masters courses only.

To register to become an Alumni member and for more information about Alumni and the scholarship please visit the link below:


Taught Masters Excellence Scholarship

The Masters (Taught) Excellence Scholarship is available to full-time UK, EU and International Masters students, irrespective of their financial means, who progress to a University of Bolton Taught Masters Course, having attained a First Class Honours degree from a UK or EU institution. Available for full 180 credit masters courses only. There will be a maximum of three awards made in the 2019/20 academic year, paid as a tuition fee waiver of £1,500. For further information please visit:

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

Students with disabilities may be eligible to receive DSA which can provide funding towards the cost of equipment, support tutors, travel and other course related costs.


Postgraduate Loan Scheme

Students commencing a taught or research 180 credit Masters course from September 2019 may be able to apply for a loan from the Student Loans Company of up to £10,906. The loan will be paid directly to the student. To apply students must be aged under 60 and be a resident of England or the EU Application forms for the loans will be available from summer 2019 from:

For further information on postgraduate loans please visit:

Student Loans Company telephone number for Postgraduate Loans helpline:

0300 100 0031


Postgraduate Doctoral Loan Scheme

Students commencing on an eligible Postgraduate Doctoral course from September 2019 or later may be able to apply for a loan from the Student Loans Company. The maximum amount of Postgraduate Doctoral loan available for 2019/20 is £25,700 for the duration of the course. The loan will be paid direct to the student. Loans are available for full stand-alone Postgraduate Doctoral courses only. Course duration must be 3-8 academic years. The course can be full or part-time. To apply students must aged under 60 and be a resident of England or the E.U. Further information is available:

Student Loans Company telephone number for Postgraduate Doctoral Loans helpline:

0300 100 0031



Whilst each company’s commitment to staff training is different successful students have managed to convince their employer that it is in the companies’ interest to fund their studies. Some other employers may also take the initiative on this matter and actively push their employees into postgraduate and professional study.



If no funding options are available to you and you are intending to fund the course yourself you will need to consider the full cost of tuition fees and living expenses, especially if you are considering giving up employment to study. The majority of students will supplement their studies with working part time and a large proportion will study part time so that they can maintain their full time careers and levels of income.


Further information

For more information please visit:

You may also wish to contact:

Student Funding Advisor Mr Jonathan Stackhouse tel: 01204 903497 or

Bursaries and Scholarships Advisor Mrs Carol Gray tel: 01204 903499

Email address: ku.ca1585658334.notl1585658334ob@gn1585658334idnuf1585658334tnedu1585658334ts1585658334.

*Please note information given on this summary may be subject to change.