TEF Silver Award

Travel during vacation periods

If you wish to travel home or to visit other countries during your vacation period this should not cause you a problem. You may wish to request a letter confirming your student status and the vacation periods before travelling which you can carry this with you when you return to the UK.

If you wish to travel to a country which is not your country of nationality you will need to check the immigration requirements of that country. You can do this by contacting the embassy of that country. Embassy contact details can be found on the FCO website.

The Schengen visa is a scheme which allows you to visit certain countries within the European Economic Area (and Switzerland) using one visa. The following countries are currently part of the Schengen scheme:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania. Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland

More information about the Schengen visa including the requirements and what documentation you need to provide can be found on the UKCISA webpage

You can request a letter confirming your student status and vacation periods from the student Advisors, Student Centre, Chancellors Mall or request it online.

Travel during term-time

Travel during term time is not recommended unless there are exceptional reasons. You must seek advice from the Immigration and Welfare Officer before leaving the UK during term-time.

If you are required to travel during term time you will need authorisation from your Academic Group and you will be expected to provide evidence of why you need to travel. If your absence is authorised the Immigration and Welfare Officer will provide you with a letter confirming the authorised absence and the date you are expected to return to the university. You will need to carry this letter with you when you return to assist with any questions you may be asked on arrival back to the UK.

Last updated May 2016.