Medicine and Ambulance

Medical Emergencies

For emergency medical attention or to call an ambulance, please dial 999. Alternatively, attend your local accident and emergency department if you are able. The Royal Bolton Hospital has the nearest accident and emergency department to the university.

Urgent Medical Advice

First Aid on Campus

Only a suitably qualified person should give first aid treatment. If you require first aid treatment , please ask either your academic supervisor or a technician who will arrange for first aid treatment to be administered. Alternatively, ring the following emergency numbers: 666 (any internal phone) or 01204 903666 (any phone).

NHS 111

NHS 111 is the free number to call when you have an urgent healthcare need. It directs you to the right local service, first time.

When should you call it?

  1. You need medical help fast, but it’s not a 999 emergency
  2. You don’t know who to call for medical help or you don’t have a GP to call
  3. You think you need to go to A&E or another NHS urgent care service but are not sure which one is most appropriate; or
  4. You require health advice or reassurance about what to do next

Visit the NHS 111 website for more information about this service.

Non-urgent Medical Advice

Please contact your GP or visit your local NHS walk-in or urgent care centre. The NHS service search will allow you to find your nearest centre.

Alternatively, you can call NHS 111 for advice or visit the NHS Choices website.

Registering with a GP

Our Student Advisors have a list of doctors located close to the university Campus and Halls of Residence. Alternatively, you can find GP surgeries by using the online NHS service search.

International Students

International students do not need private medical insurance when studying in the UK.

If you need a visa to study in the UK, it costs just £150 per year to gain access to the NHS. You pay this fee during your visa application and it covers free medical treatment (including emergency or hospital care, should you need it) and reduced price dental care at an NHS dentist.

If you are from the European Economic Area, make sure you get a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)  before coming to the UK so that you can access NHS treatment. Visit the European Commission's website for more information.



Download the app for your smartphone from:

Part of the University of Bolton Group

Bolton college
Alliance learning
Anderton centre2
tef silver qqa iipLogo

Part of the University of Bolton Group

Bolton college
Alliance learning
Anderton centre2
tef silver