University of Bolton, Deane Road, Bolton. BL3 5AB
“At the University of Bolton, we take great pride in providing a quality, supportive learning environment for our students.”
Professor George E Holmes DL | President & Vice Chancellor
“...tutors are very supportive and you’re not just a student ID number, at this university you are an individual with a name.”
Ellisse Vernon | BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing
Back to menu
Back to menu
Study with an Off-Campus Partner
Information for Parents, Guardians and Teachers
Back to menu
Visit the Bolton Students Union
Undergraduate students who commence their course of study at University of Bolton from the academic year 2021/22, and who are Care Experienced, having lived in a Care setting for at least 13 weeks between the ages of 14 and 18, and who are also under 25 years of age on the first day of their first academic year of their course. Students must be progressing to a University of Bolton undergraduate Higher Education (H.E.) course. The award is not subject to household income assessment.
Up to £1,000 cash per academic year subject to continual fulfilment of the eligibility criteria for full-time students. For part-time students this award will be made over the anticipated duration of your course, the amount will be based on the number of credits studied per academic year. This bursary will also include an additional one off payment of £500 upon successful completion of the course of study.
In order to qualify for the bursary students must have demonstrated that they are:
• A home (UK) student paying tuition fees to University of Bolton in 2021/22 and subsequent academic years via a tuition fee loan or self-funding. Students whose tuition fees are paid by a sponsor for example an employer or students who are externally registered whose tuition fees are paid to the institution they are attending will not be eligible to receive the award.
• Studying a full-time or part-time undergraduate course which is delivered on campus at University of Bolton.
• Commencing on their course from September 2021 or January 2022.
• A Care Experienced individual who has lived in a Care setting for a period of a minimum of 13 weeks between the ages of 14 and 18.
• Application forms to apply for the bursary are available from the Student Centre Chancellor’s Mall or downloaded here.
Payment of the Bursary
The Bursary will be paid by eight monthly instalments in each academic year on the 18th of every month, for September starters payments will be made from November to June inclusive. Payments will be £125 per month payable direct into the student’s bank account. Payments for January starters will be made in March, April, May, June, November, December, January and February for each year of study. The additional payment of £500 will be paid upon successful completion of the course of study.
Payment is subject to continued attendance and satisfactory progression on the course of study.
• In addition to the financial support students receive from the Student Loans Company the non means tested Care Experienced Bursary of up to £1,000 will be available in each academic year of study subject to continual fulfilment of the eligibility criteria. Along with an additional £500 payment upon successful completion of the course of study.
• Financial health checks are available with the Student Funding Advisors to ensure that students are receiving the correct student funding.
• Budgeting advice and personal budget plans are available.
Additional Support, Advice and Guidance
• Confidential advice and support on a wide range of academic and pastoral issues from one of the university’s Student Liaison Officers.
• Support from one of the Student Advisors in Student Services.
• Support, advice and help in accessing other services in the university and the Students’ Union.
For further information please contact:For further information please contact:
Mr Jonathan Stackhouse
Student Funding Advisor
University of Bolton
Tel: 01204 903497
Mrs Carol Gray
Bursaries and Scholarships Advisor
University of Bolton
Tel: 01204 903499
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bursary payments will be terminated if the student withdraws, transfers to another institution or fails their programme of study. Bursary payments will be suspended if a student interrupts or suspends their studies.
Bursaries will not be paid to students undertaking industrial or work experience on a full time “sandwich” basis. Students studying abroad will not be eligible to receive the Bursary.
The bursary is not payable to students whose tuition fees are sponsored by a third party for example an employer.
Please note information given is provisional and may be subject to change.