Faculty of Health & Wellbeing
“At the University of Bolton, we take great pride in providing a quality, supportive learning environment for our students.”
Professor George E Holmes DL | President & Vice Chancellor
“...tutors are very supportive and you’re not just a student ID number, at this university you are an individual with a name.”
Ellisse Vernon | BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing
Back to menu
Back to menu
Since achieving a B. Ed. in Primary and Special Education (Lancaster University), I have also achieved M.Ed. (Open University) and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) status. I have also had the following professional experience:
• Early Years and Primary Teaching: Fourteen Years teaching children aged 4-11 years in primary schools including 1 year as an Exchange Teacher in Saskatchewan, Canada. Subject Leader roles: ICT Co-ordinator; Mathematics Coordinator; DT Co-ordinator; Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO)
• Further Education (F.E.) Teaching: Extensive experience teaching and leading on CACHE and BTEC Level 1, 2 and 3 Early Care and Education courses and L3 Access to Higher Education Diploma courses at Bury F.E. College and Salford City College.
• Higher Education (H.E.) Lecturing: Experience teaching and leading on Early Years Education Foundation Degree and Degree courses at Bury F. E. College, Salford City College, Edge Hill University and University of Bolton.
Research Interests and Research Subject Specialisms:
• Masters in Education (Open University, 2015) 3 modules:
o Educational Enquiry, concerned with educational research, its theoretical assumptions and its contribution to educational practice and policymaking. For the final assessment, I completed a literature review relating to the ‘phonics debate’ with regard to teaching early reading.
o Understanding Children’s Learning and Development. For the final assessment, I completed an Action Research Proposal aimed to improve Early Years students’ ability to engage children in using mathematical language and sustained shared thinking.
o Children and young people's worlds: frameworks for integrated practice focused on children’s experiences in the contemporary world, at national and international levels. For the final assessment, I completed research relating to inclusion in education.
• Doctorate in Education: I am currently a Doctoral student conducting research relating to ‘Inclusion in the Higher Education Sector’.
• FdA Early Years Childhood Studies modules: Study Skills and Personal Development Planning; Children’s Learning in the Digital Age; Inclusive Practice; Independent Study
• BA (Hons) Early Years and Childhood Studies modules: Child Development; Children’s Learning in the Digital Age; Inclusive Practice; Work Experience; Dissertation supervision
Publications and Research Outputs:
Shaw, A. (2017), Inclusion: the role of special and mainstream schools.
British Journal of Special Education, 44: 292–312. doi:10.1111/1467-8578.12181