Bolton fire: Questions and answers


Question and Answers


Q:           How can I find out what’s going on?

Students should come to the SLZ where a range of information services will be available over the coming week from 9:00 to 18:00 during weekdays and 10:00 to 16:00 this weekend.

In addition, updates will be posted via the University’s Facebook page and Twitter feed as information becomes available and these FAQ’s will also be updated.

Over the next few days, a briefing will be held each day in the SLZ at 16:00.



Q:           My official documents were in the Cube how can I get it replaced?

For those students who have potentially lost official government documents or ID such as passports, driving licences, Biometric Residence Permits (BRPs), birth certificates etc. please report to the relevant desk in the SLZ.

We have an official government liaison officer with us on campus all this week who is helping to fastrack replacements for you if required and the financial support offered for these replacements. We are also liaising with all of the embassies of affected students. We are working closely with Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue to see if any documents can be retrieved.  There is a desk in the SLZ for you to report missing documents. Please do this as soon as possible.

There will be representatives on campus from HM Passport Office to help apply for new passports and birth certificates on Thursday 21st and Friday 22nd November. These replacements will be fast tracked through the process.  They will be here between 10:00 and 17:00 and will be based in The Hub which is in Senate House near Main Reception (please ask at Reception if you need directions). No appointment necessary please just drop in. You will not need any ID but will need to bring with you two passport photographs. Although there will be a charge for these replacements, the University will take care of this directly with the Passport Office so there will be no charge to you directly.

If you have lost your Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate or need to apply for a DBS but are unable to due to loss of documents, please contact Keeley Eckersley in the Student Centre, 01204 903484, or or speak to someone on the Official Documentation desk in the SLZ.

The university has made available a ‘To Whom it may Concern’ letter for all affected students confirming that you were involved in the incident. This may be used for any purposes where you require to prove that you were affected.


Q:            General Election – What about Polling Cards and Postal Votes?

If you have any concerns about lost polling cards or postal vote documentation please speak to someone on the Official Documentation desk in the SLZ.


Q:            My Student ID card has been Damaged / Destroyed

If your Student ID card has been has been damaged or destroyed please go to Student Services in Chancellors Mall, they will produce a new card for you free of charge.



Q:            Clothing / Necessities

My belongings are in the Cube, how can you help?

The university has plenty of new clothing and essentials which have kindly been donated that you are welcome to collect from the SLZ.


Q:            How do get my clothes laundered?

For those students staying in hotels, a pick-up / drop-off laundry service is now available. The drop-off point is in the SLZ and more information can be obtained from the SLZ.


Q:            I do not have any cash, my credit / debit cards were in the Cube

The university will provide you with £500.  You will receive £50 of this in cash and the remaining £450 will be paid in to your bank account.  You will need to come to the university in person to claim your cash.

If you have claimed your £50 cash before lunchtime on Monday, the remaining £450 will be paid in to your bank account on Wednesday.  If you claim your £50 cash after lunchtime on Monday but before lunchtime on Wednesday, your remaining £450 will be paid in to your account on Friday.

If you do not have access to your debit card and are unable to withdraw the cash the university will provide you with £450 in cash as soon as possible.

Please use this £500 to pay immediate expenses but retain receipts for subsequent reimbursement, ideally on a weekly basis rather than for individual receipts. Please can students returning to Sun Alliance submit their claim to the University cash Office by Friday 22 November 2019 if possible.

If your student ID card is damaged / destroyed  please get a new one from Student Services (free of charge) before claiming your cash

Please visit the finance desk in the SLZ for further information.


Q:            When can I collect my belongings?

We are working very closely with the authorities and the Cube management team. At the moment, we understand that access is not permitted due to safety reasons.  We will send details about any possible measured, managed, supervised entry as soon as we are able. The building is guarded. Until such time as we have been notified that it is safe to do so, no student should attempt to access the building.

The Insurers of the Cube, Endsleigh, have visited the University on Wednesday and will be coming again next Wednesday to fastrack the processing of insurance claims. There may be a possibility of an additional visit tomorrow (Thursday) and if so, this will be confirmed by email.

Please come to the SLZ for more information.


Q:           How long will I be in temporary accommodation?

The university is working with other universities and the Cube management to develop options for you.  In the next two to three days those options will be presented to you so that you can make a choice.

Most students will be able to stay in their current accommodation until such time as their permanent option is available. It is possible that a small number of students may have to move from their current hotel due to existing bookings at that hotel. If that is the case, those students will be contacted individually by the end of Thursday and offered a new location that we anticipate should remain available until such time as the permanent option becomes available. This hotel accommodation will continue to be funded through the University.

Meals will continue to be offered at the University, and are available to any visiting parents of affected students, also free of charge.


Q:           What about my contract with the Cube?

We understand that a statement is due to be made by the Cube in the next day or so about release from their contract. Direct debits have been frozen. Students should not feel held back by that contract and if you have already found your own private accommodation and need a deposit should come to the SLZ to discuss potential loan through the University until the deposit is refunded.


Q:           What is happening about my post?

All mail is being redirected from the Cube to the University and can be collected from the University Post Room.


Q:           I was staying in Sun Alliance and can’t access my accommodation, what support can I get?

We understand that it will now be possible to return to Sun Alliance and will contact those students individually on Thursday to offer support for their return.


Q:           I need to talk to someone about what’s happened

The University’s Student Support team are on hand to help.

Counselling and welfare sessions are available in the Student Centre and Life Lounge throughout the week; please contact Student Services as soon as possible to arrange.

The Chaplaincy Service is also available. Drop in sessions are available Monday 8:30-1:30; Wed / Thurs 8:30 – 17:30. At other times you can contact Chaplain Gill be email or call 01204 903415 or text 07967585670.

A drop in session has also been arranged on Thursday 10:00-12:00 together with drinks and cakes.


Q:           Will counselling support be available at Orlando?

The University is putting in place counselling which will be available in the evenings at Orlando over the next few days.  Counselling is available at the University during the day.  Students can also access support through Nightline contact details can be found on Moodle.


Q:           I am an international student and my parents want to visit

Any international students wishing for parents to visit the UK please contact Helene Kelly for advise and we will liaise with the relevant embassies to make arrangements.


Q:           I am an international student and have lost my Police Registration Certificate

If you have lost your Police Registration Certificate please can you report it at You will then need to make an appointment to attend Green Heys Police Station for a replacement.

Please note you will not be able to do this until you have received your replacement passport and BRP. If you need further advice please visit the Official Documentation desk in the SLZ.

You will need an incident report number which is:  2848-151119

You can book an appointment at the following link:



Q:           My laptop was in the Cube and I need it for my studies

The University is making dedicated IT facilities available to affected students in the SLZ until 18:00; IT equipment is available in the library after this time.

In addition, it is working on making some laptops available for students to borrow. An initial batch of equipment has arrived and should be made available by the end of the week.



Q:           Access to other specialist equipment

There may be items of specialist equipment which may become available for short-term loan (such as photographic equipment, special effects items, etc.) to which the University may be able to gain access, until such time as insurance matters and replacement equipment is dealt with. If any student has such equipment requirements that have not yet been taken care of, please see Marianne Cain in the SLZ who will seek to identify what may be possible through the network of University approved suppliers, etc. once she is aware of potential requirements.


Q:           What about my studies?

Please attend classes as normal if possible.  Your Personal Tutor will be in touch with you soon to go through everything with you.

Please rest assured that you will not be academically disadvantaged because of this incident.  Your course tutors are all aware that you have been affected by this incident and will provide you with all the help and information you need.

You can get further information by visiting the Academic Advice desk in the SLZ.


Q:           What about my assessment deadlines?

All students who have been directly affected by this incident will automatically have mitigating circumstances applied.

However, any student who has been affected indirectly, even if they hadn’t been resident in the Cube or Sun Alliance, can apply for mitigating circumstances and will be treated equally for assessment extensions. In the case of group assessments involving one or more of the group who were resident at the Cube, the who group will be given an extension or deferral as appropriate and required.

Your course tutors will provide you with all the help and information you need.


Q:           What do I do about library books?

Fines and fees will be waived for any loss of books or library items.


Statement from the Cube

Please log on to the website

Over this next week all students will be kept updated.

Related articles


Download the app for your smartphone from:

Help Centre

We have the answers to your questions, find all the advice and support in one place.

Part of the University of Bolton Group

Bolton college
Alliance learning
Anderton centre2
RiSE pos rgb logo
QQA Scheme Participant

Help Centre

We have the answers to your questions, find all the advice and support in one place.

Part of the University of Bolton Group

Bolton college
Alliance learning
Anderton centre2
RiSE pos rgb logo
QQA Scheme Participant