“At the University of Bolton, we take great pride in providing a quality, supportive learning environment for our students.”
Professor George E Holmes DL | President & Vice Chancellor
“...tutors are very supportive and you’re not just a student ID number, at this university you are an individual with a name.”
Ellisse Vernon | BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing
Back to menu
Back to menu
The University of Bolton Institute of Management’s pro bono Accountancy, Tax and Business Clinic provides local businesses with advice and guidance in preparing annual accounts and statutory tax returns to HMRC. The clinic is student led and supervised by a qualified practicing Chartered Management Accountant.
The Centre is based within the Institute of Management building in the centre of Bolton and provides advice and support to members of the public on a wide range of accountancy, tax and business issues.
The clinic operates as a drop in facility and by an appointment system bookable by the website.
The clinic provides free of cost services as follows: -
• Support local businesses with advice and guidance on Bookkeeping and computerised accounting.
• Support local businesses with advice and guidance on the preparation of year-end financial accounts.
• Support local businesses with advice and guidance on financial business planning.
• Support local businesses with tax advice on establishing and registering a business with Companies House and HMRC.
• Support local businesses with Provide businesses advice on completing self-assessment tax return and Making Tax Digital (MTD).
• Support local businesses with advice and guidance on PAYE and Real Time Information (RTI)
• Support local businesses with advice and guidance on preparing corporation tax and VAT returns.
Assistant Teaching Professor
I am an experienced Chartered Management Accountant and qualified Teaching Professional and passionate about using my commercial acumen and industry knowledge to deliver and transfer essential accountancy/business skills to our learners.
I have extensive accounting experience in industry, accountancy practice and as a Teaching Practitioner. I have also achieved recognition from industry bodies as well as a licenced CIMA Member in Practice.
As well as CIMA accreditations, I have also served as a Chief Examiner and a Subject Matter Expert with a world-leading international Qualifications body. I have also extensive experience in developing/writing exam questions for professional accountancy examinations.
I look forward to developing the skills of our learners so that they meet the needs of and contribute to the success of local and national employers in the 21st Century.
I ensure positive results and commitment in everything that I do and would love to share my expertise with you.
Qualified Accountant with significant previous accounting experience in the industry working for companies such as Shell PLC, Babcock’s PLC and the Nickerson’s group. Moved to the University of Bolton in 1995 in the central finance office as the Chief Accountant, then moved into an academic role at Bolton in 2009.
My research interests are as follows:
- Management control and performance management systems and processes
- Behavioral aspects of management accounting
- Managerial performance evaluation
- Performance-related pay
- Governance arrangements, power and control issues in the HE university sector.