Here are some examples of how you can achieve 120 UCAS points as accepted by the University of Bolton. There are obviously many other possible combinations - this is just a general guide. If specific subjects are required for your course these must be included in your tariff points calculation.
Not all qualifications are included in the UCAS tariff. If your qualification is not listed below, or you still have questions after reading this page, please contact us for advice.
Here at Bolton we do accept points from subjects like General Studies and Critical Thinking at A-level/AS-level. We will also count up to 40 points from Key Skills at Level 3/4, the Free-standing Mathematics qualifications or Higher Sports Leader Awards (or other similar qualifications). You can also combine points from different qualifications so long as they are not in the same subject.
- One A2-level at grade A
- Two A2-levels at grades DD / CE
- Three A2-levels at grades EEE
- One A2-level plus two AS-levels at grades Cee / Ddd, etc.
- Two A2-levels plus one AS-level at grades EEc, etc.
- One AVCE Double Award at grades DD
- One AVCE Double Award at grades EE plus passes in two Key Skills at Level 3
- One ACVE Single Award at grade C plus passes in two Key Skills at Level 3
BTEC Nationals (excluding Early Years) (NQF)
- One BTEC National Diploma at grades PPP
- One BTEC National Certificate at grades MP
- One BTEC National Certificate at grades PP plus passes in two Key Skills at Level 3
- One BTEC National Award at grade D
- One BTEC National Award at grade M plus passes in two Key Skills at Level 3
BTEC Nationals (QCF)
- One BTEC Extended Diploma (Level 3) at grades PPP
- One BTEC Diploma (Level 3) at grades MP
- One BTEC Subsidiary Diploma (Level 3) at grade D
- One BTEC Subsidiary Diploma (Level 3) at grade M plus one AS-level at grade C
Advanced Diplomas, Progression Diplomas, Principle Learning and Extended Project elements
- One Progression Diploma at grade D (worth 150 points)
- One Advanced Diploma including the Progression Diploma at grade E plus one A2-level at grade E (worth 140 points)
- One Principle Learning element at grade C
- One Principle Learning element at grade D plus one AS-level at grade D, etc.
- One Extended Project element at grade A plus one A2-level at grade D, etc.
Diploma in Foundation Studies (Art & Design)
- One Diploma in Foundation Studies at Pass grade (worth 165 points)
- One Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Diploma (with at least 120 points)
- One Welsh Baccalaureate Core pass (at Level 3) plus two A2-levels at grades EE (worth 200 points).
- The options elements will still be counted if an applicant does not achieve the full Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Diploma.
- One Advanced Higher at grade A (worth 130 points)
- Two Highers at grades BB (worth 130 points), etc.
- Two Highers at grades CC plus one pass in a Core Skill at Higher Level
Irish Leaving Certificates
- Two Higher Certificates at grades B2, B3 (worth 122 points)
- Three Higher Certificates at grades C1, C3, D1 (worth 124 points), etc.
- One IB Diploma with 24 IB points (worth 260 points)
- Two IB Higher Levels at grades 5,4 (worth 130 points)
- Two IB Higher Levels at grades 4,4 plus one IB Standard Level at grade 4 (worth 127 points), etc.
Access to HE Diploma
Students would usually be expected to successfully complete their Access to HE Diploma. Applications are judged on a case by case basis.
[back to top]