The Societal Effect of Climate Change
27 Apr 22
“At the University of Bolton, we take great pride in providing a quality, supportive learning environment for our students.”
Professor George E Holmes DL | President & Vice Chancellor
“...tutors are very supportive and you’re not just a student ID number, at this university you are an individual with a name.”
Ellisse Vernon | BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing
Back to menu
Back to menu
You may read this blog title and think ‘a degree in construction? What’s all that about?’
However, a degree in construction can lead to a very fulfilling career and exciting job opportunities.
Let’s look at what you can learn with a construction degree, and the careers you can move into.
The exact nature of what you will learn on a construction degree course depends on the type of course you choose, below is a summary:
• Project management - how to create Gantt charts, track the progress of a project and what you need to do to ensure the construction work is completed on time and to budget
• How to carry out building surveying, quantity surveying and building information modelling (BIM)
• Modern technologies that can help you carry out your job, such as 3D laser scanning - future-proofing in the construction
• The laws and regulations that will ensure all the construction work you do is safe and compliant
• How your role impacts on other business departments, including IT and HR
If you’re considering a career in construction, there are many different jobs available to you including:
• Construction manager
• Facilities manager/estates manager
• Project manager
• Quantity surveyor
• Site manager
• Town planner
A construction degree teaches you a lot of soft skills, including conflict management, leadership and communication. These skills will help you if you choose to go down another career path, such as business management or coaching.
A construction degree course is perfect for you if you have a passion for design and making our living and working environments a better place.
When we ask our graduates what they like the most about their current role, one of the things they say is walking past buildings and thinking, ‘I helped to build that!’
If you’re looking to get started in your future construction career, the University of Bolton is here to help. We offer a wide range of construction courses, that will help refine your skills and get you your dream career in the construction industry. So, whether you want to work in facilities management, surveying or project management, we have a degree that’s right for you.
Based in Greater Manchester, we’re No.1 in the North West for spend per student.* This means you will get a comprehensive and supportive learning experience, with one-to-one support from our team of skilled lecturers.
Contact us to find out how a construction degree can benefit your future career.
*The Guardian University Guide, North West Region - 2022