University of Bolton, Deane Road, Bolton. BL3 5AB
“At the University of Bolton, we take great pride in providing a quality, supportive learning environment for our students.”
Professor George E Holmes DL | President & Vice Chancellor
“...tutors are very supportive and you’re not just a student ID number, at this university you are an individual with a name.”
Ellisse Vernon | BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing
Back to menu
Back to menu
Study with an Off-Campus Partner
Information for Parents, Guardians and Teachers
Back to menu
Visit the Bolton Students Union
Imagine having the power of social media and digital technology in your hands and using it every day to propel brands to the next level.
That is exactly what you are expected to do as a digital marketer!
Digital marketing or online marketing is one of the most popular and fastest-growing industries today. It is of little wonder why so many people, especially graduates want to enter this challenging yet rewarding area. But how can you turn your hobby of social media into a rewarding career?
This blog aims to give you valuable insights into how to get into online marketing and succeed as a digital marketer.
Develop The Skills
Did you know the digital skills gap is costing the UK economy an estimated £63 billion a year? Imagine just how valuable these digital skills are!
That is why, if you are interested in pursuing a career in online marketing, the first thing you need to do is develop your digital skills. As an inspiring digital marketer, your starting point would be to develop your creative skills.
After all, a lack of creativity means a lack of originality; a lack of originality means a lack of audience.
Whether it is social media marketing, email marketing, content marketing, or web designing, you will need to be creative with execution.
It is also essential to develop some technical skills while trying to enter the digital world. You can start by learning the basics of search engine optimisation (SEO), Google Analytics, Photoshop, WordPress, etc.
Getting a digital marketing degree can go a long way in helping you become a successful online marketer. It helps you gain an in-depth understanding of how businesses work, while also helping you gain a detailed picture of how various digital marketing tactics can help achieve a company's objectives. Look for qualifications that are accredited by a recognised body like the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM), to ensure that you gain all the essential knowledge, skills and experience that is required for future marketing roles.
Gain Work Experience
After theory comes practical. Put whatever you have learned as part of your education to practical use by seeking work experience opportunities. You can also apply for closely related entry-level jobs that can help you build relevant skills, grow your portfolio, and get your foot in the door. Some of these roles include social media assistant, digital marketing assistant, content writer, etc.
Network Online & Offline
Networking is key to landing marketing work and jobs. Use professional social media channels like LinkedIn to network with people from the industry and inquire about opportunities if and when they are available. You can also sign-up for marketing events and workshops to build your professional network offline, as well as your skillset.
You can also make use of free and paid platforms like HubSpot and Semrush to learn, practice and develop your digital marketing skillset which can be very useful, supporting your career ambitions.
Studying Digital Marketing At The University of Bolton
The BSc (Hons) Digital Management and Marketing degree course at the University of Bolton can equip you with the skills to make a mark in the digital marketing industry. It is a comprehensive course that covers everything you’ll need to enter the professional digital marketing world with a bang!
- Our BSc (Hons) in Digital Management and Marketing is a CIM Accredited Degree and offers a range of CIM exemptions. During your studies, you'll be able to join the CIM as a Studying Member and benefit from access to a wealth of additional study resources and a professional network.
- Our team of highly knowledgeable and industry professional lecturers offer and one-to-one support, ensuring you can access help and advice when needed.
- The tutorial team brings an impressive range of professional experience and academic prowess, so you’ll have the chance to explore and evaluate a range of perspectives relating to your studies.
- In your final-year, you’ll be able to choose optional modules that cover specialist subjects such as advanced data analytics (blockchain and digital disruption) or the psychology of digital consumer behaviour.
- This course is offered in our vibrant Institute of Management environment in Bolton, Greater Manchester. By studying alongside people interested in related subject areas, such as business management, law and finance, you can benefit from a broader range of knowledge and experience that supports cross-disciplinary thinking and inter-professional working.
- By designing the course assignments and projects to mimic industry requirements and standards, we aim to give you an industry-relevant education; preparing you for an enjoyable career.
- We offer opportunities to work from live briefs, giving you the chance to connect with industry partners and benefit from projects focused on current market conditions and technologies.
Eager to start? Find out more about the BSc (Hons) Digital Management and Marketing degree at Bolton University and check if it’s the right first step in your journey to becoming a successful digital marketer.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 01204 903807 for any queries related to the course. Start your digital journey at the University of Bolton; where we are proud to offer students #UniAsItShouldBe.