University of Bolton, Deane Road, Bolton. BL3 5AB
“At the University of Bolton, we take great pride in providing a quality, supportive learning environment for our students.”
Professor George E Holmes DL | President & Vice Chancellor
“...tutors are very supportive and you’re not just a student ID number, at this university you are an individual with a name.”
Ellisse Vernon | BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing
Back to menu
Back to menu
Study with an Off-Campus Partner
Information for Parents, Guardians and Teachers
Back to menu
Visit the Bolton Students Union
Did you know hobbies are among the most lucrative activities you can engage in? Gaming has long been considered a non-productive pastime. However, it is now among the world's fastest-growing and highest revenue-generating industries. Several industries are using its concepts to improve their productivity. For example, educators are using gamification as a teaching method to increase students' interest in low-engagement subjects. Similarly, human resource specialists are using gamification to increase employee engagement.
Game development is a multi-disciplinary field, and there is a constant need for specialists to facilitate its growth. If you want to establish a career in this lucrative industry, the University of Bolton has specialised degree programmes, like MA in Games Development, to help you achieve your dreams. Keep reading to discover the most in-demand skill sets and how the University of Bolton prepares you for them.
Unity and Unreal are the two most popular game development platforms, and knowing their functionality is essential for any aspiring game developer. Virtual and Augmented Reality is also becoming more mainstream with each passing year. At the University of Bolton, you will learn from industry experts from leading game studios, giving you the opportunity to create and publish games for different platforms.
3D Modelling and Animation
Current hardware makes it challenging to differentiate the virtual world and real life. If you want to work with one of the top-tier game publishers, you will need a good understanding of human anatomy, lighting, and shading techniques. Learning how to use software like Maya and 3ds Max will help you create immersive games with realistic characters and environments.
What do Warframe, FIFA 22, and Days Gone have in common? They are all winners of the Best Music/ Sound Design Award. Sound Engineering is a crucial skill in game development because it makes the game more immersive. Our highly experienced games team will support and help you master an arsenal of advanced tools and techniques to create compelling and inventive experiences. You will also graduate with at least one credit on a published game to your name.
Why Study at The University of Bolton?
- You will be learning from the best. Bolton’s games lecturers have over seventy game credits on published sites from working at or with top publishers and developers
- We are in it for the long haul. Bolton is one of the first UK universities to offer games courses, with specialist degrees in Games Design, Games Programming and Games Art. Our games graduates have been enjoying careers in the games industry for longer than most
- We have the connections to get you into the industry. Bolton University has a wide network of contacts in the games industry and knowledge of the latest games research and developments. You will have the chance to interact with industry experts from the UK's leading games studios and Bolton graduates now successful in the sector
- You will have support throughout the course; A personal tutor will have weekly one-to-one sessions to support you through your studies
- You will benefit from our small class sizes, giving you hassle-free access to our well-equipped, dedicated games studios featuring high-specification hardware and industry-standard software
- You will build an impressive and credible games portfolio before you graduate. We expect our students to spend approximately 30 hours per week in our development studio, allowing you to create and publish games for various platforms. The University of Bolton has Sony PlayStation First accreditation
Are you ready to become a member of our Centre for Games Development? Click here to view our full course details and programme specification.
You can also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01204 903807 and gain a good understanding of why our students love the University of Bolton experience.