Please note that these UCAS points are to be used for those applying to study a course from September 2017 onwards. If you are planning to start a course before this date then please hit 'back' to find the alternative entry criteria.
The full UCAS tariff can be found on the UCAS website.
Here are some examples of how you can achieve 40 UCAS points as accepted by the University of Bolton. There are obviously many other possible combinations - this is just a general guide.
If specific subjects are required for your course these must be included in your tariff points calculation. Not all qualifications are included in the UCAS tariff. If your qualification is not listed below, or you still have questions after reading this page, please contact us for advice using the contact details to the right.
Here at Bolton we do accept points from subjects like General Studies and Critical Thinking at A-level/AS-level. We will also count up to 12 points from Key Skills at Level 3/4, the Free-standing Mathematics qualifications or Higher Sports Leader Awards (or other similar qualifications). You can also combine points from different qualifications so long as they are not in the same subject.
- One A2-level at grade B
- Two A2-levels at grades DE
- One A2-level plus one AS-level at grades Dc
- Two A2-levels plus one AS-level at grades EEe
- Three A2-levels at grades EEE
- One AVCE Double Award at grades DE
- One AVCE Double Award at grades EE plus a pass in one Key Skill at Level 3
- One ACVE Single Award at grade D plus passes in two Key Skills at Level 3
BTEC Nationals (excluding Early Years) (NQF)
- One BTEC National Diploma at grades PPP
- One BTEC National Certificate at grades PP plus a pass in one Key Skill at Level 3
- One BTEC National Award at grade D
- One BTEC National Award at grade M plus a pass in one Key Skill at Level 3
BTEC Nationals (QCF)
- One BTEC Extended Diploma (Level 3) at grades PPP
- One BTEC Diploma (Level 3) at grades MP
- One BTEC Diploma (Level 3) at grades PP plus a pass in one Key Skill at Level 3
- One BTEC Subsidiary Diploma (Level 3) at grade D
- One BTEC Subsidiary Diploma (Level 3) at grade M plus a pass in one Key Skill at Level 3
Advanced Diplomas, Progression Diplomas, Principle Learning and Extended Project elements
- One Progression Diploma at grade E
- One Advanced Diploma including the Progression Diploma at grade E plus one A2-level at grade E
- One Principle Learning element at grade C
- One Principle Learning element at grade E plus one AS-level at grade C, etc.
- One Extended Project element at grade A plus one A2-level at grade E, etc.
Diploma in Foundation Studies (Art & Design)
- One Diploma in Foundation Studies at Pass grade
- One Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Diploma
- One Welsh Baccalaureate Core pass (at Level 3) plus two A2-levels at grades EE
- The options elements will still be counted if an applicant does not achieve the full Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Diploma.
- One Advanced Higher at grade B
- Two Highers at grades CC
- Two Highers at grades DD plus two passes in Core Skills at Higher Level
Irish Leaving Certificates
- Two Higher Certificates at grades C1, C1
- Three Higher Certificates at grades C2, D1, D2
- One IB Diploma with 24 IB points
- Two IB Higher Levels at grades 4,4 / 5,3
- Two IB Higher Levels at grades 4,3 plus one IB Standard Level at grade 5
Access to HE Diploma
Students would usually be expected to successfully complete their Access to HE Diploma.
- 45 level 3 credits at pass
[back to top]