The Student Portal provides you with a wealth of information from Student Services, the library and the Students' Union. Below you will find some futher information information that may be of use to you:

1  Personal Tutor
You will be told who your Personal Tutor is within a few days of enrolment.  If you have not been told who yours is contact your Programme Leader or (if they Programme Leader is not available) the Senior Administration Manger in the Student Centre.

Your Personal Tutor is there to offer support and advice and to provide a stable reference point and contintuity of contact.

The University is extending the use of an additional approach to personal tutoring that involved group personal tutorial classes.  If you are involved in these you will be given details of when and where the classes take place and what their purpose is.

This is the link to the University of Bolton Personal Tutoring Policy.

An important note about the status of advice given by members of staff to students

2  If you get into difficulties, the University may be able to help you
Please don’t just leave the university if you find yourself in difficulties – give us a chance to listen to you to see what we can do to help. There are many ways in which we can help that you may not be aware of, for example:

  • The assessment regulations of our courses are very reasonable.  You can apply for severe personal or medical difficulties to be taken into account (“mitigating circumstances” - see 4.4) and if accepted, you can be given a new date to submit work by, without penalty and as if for the first time;
  • If you have to leave us there are intermediate awards or transcripts that may be available to you, to recognise your completed work.

Your personal tutor can help either by advising and guiding you directly or by indicating University services like the Student Centre (which you can approach directly) where you may get professional help such as financial counselling for example. 

There are also Student Liaison Officers based within each Academic Group who can speak to students in confidence, offering information, advice and guidance. 

3  Temporary Suspension of Studies

You must understand at the outset that temporarily suspending studies may have financial implications in relation to fees for the suspended course, and for the resumed course. Any student considering suspending studies for a reason outside his/her control is advised to read the University Fees Policy carefully, then contact their Programme Leader for academic advice and then contact the Student Centre for expert advice and guidance with regards financial position.

PLEASE NOTE THAT dates for outstanding work are not suspended when you suspend study. Thus if you have refer, retake or defer work to complete, for example, the dates for that remain the same and if you can’t make them you must consider making a mitigating circumstances claim if you can. In situations like this you are strongly advised to speak to your programme leader.

4  Withdrawal from Modules/Programmes

A student may normally only withdraw from a module within the first two weeks, with the approval of the module tutor and pathway leader.  Withdrawal without permission and/or beyond this point without good reason will be recorded as a failure in the module (including any project or dissertation module).

It is important to note that you will still be charged the cost of the module even though you failed to attend the assessment. 

All staff want to help you gain the best possible result from the programme, and will do everything we can to help you to achieve your potential.  If you are finding problems that are preventing you from participating in the course, you have a number of options.

Students who wish to withdraw, transfer or suspend their studies on the programmes must contact their programme leader immediately.  The programme leader will be able to advise you regarding career development and current options.  If you have a personal problem, again your programme leader is your first point of contact for guidance. Student Services, with their specially trained counsellors, are also available.  It is normally the responsibility of the programme leader to fill in and sign the relevant form to remove a student from the programme. 

This should be your last resort. If you withdraw from the programme, it is assumed that you are not going to continue, and your records are closed. 

You can also contact Student Services for more information about suspending study (see above), the implications this will have on fees and alternative decisions you can make.

If you require any assistance, no matter how trivial you feel the problem may be, please ask for help and support from one of these sources.