Conventional PhD programmes in any of the research activities are available for those who wish to continue their studies. Usual access route to these programme are first class degree or M.Sc. in relevant subjects..
Many high-calibre professionals with first-class degrees undertake research and developmental activities while working. The Centre recognises that this often leads to outstanding results. The Ph.D.-by-publication will formally acknowledge your work at the highest level. The programme is designed so you don't have to leave work.
Who benefits ?
- A PhD will increase your breath of knowledge
- Your organisation will benefit from an enhanced status and recognition at national and international levels.
- You will have access to the equipment, facilities and expertise available at IMRI.
- You will be able to network with industry professionals who use IMRI for partnership and collaboration.
Can I register ?
To qualify for registration you must fulfill the following criteria:
- A good first-class degree qualification or its equivalent
- At least five years' industrial experience, with preferably two in R&D related activities
- Be positive, enthusiastic and determined to succeed
How does it work ?
- You will be allocated two supervisors, one at your work and one at IMRI
- The PhD project is based on your company's needs and requirements
- Work is undertaken over three years and can form a single project or three integrated projects
- You will need to produce three academic papers, published in international journals, or generate one full international patent and two published academic papers. These will form the main part of the thesis
Your work will then be examined by academic and industrial external examiners. If your thesis is successful you'll be awarded a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD).