Here are some examples of how you can achieve 280 UCAS points as accepted by the University of Bolton. There are obviously many other possible combinations - this is just a general guide. If specific subjects are required for your course these must be included in your tariff points calculation.
Not all qualifications are included in the UCAS tariff . If your qualification is not listed below, or you still have questions after reading this page, please contact us for advice.
Here at Bolton we do accept points from subjects like General Studies and Critical Thinking at A-level/AS-level. We will also count up to 40 points from Key Skills at Level 3/4, the Free-standing Mathematics qualifications or Higher Sports Leader Awards (or other similar qualifications). You can also combine points from different qualifications so long as they are not in the same subject.
- Two A2-levels at grades A*A*
- Three A2-levels at grades BCC / ABD / ACC, etc.
- Two A2-levels plus two AS-levels at grades BBcc / CCaa, etc.
- Two A2-levels at grades AA plus passes in two Key Skills at Level 3, etc.
- One AVCE Double Award at grades A*A*
- One AVCE Double Award at grades A*A plus a pass in one Key Skill at Level 3, etc.
BTEC Nationals (excluding Early Years) (NQF)
- One BTEC National Diploma at grades DMM
- One BTEC National Diploma at grades MMM plus a pass in two Key Skill at Level 3
- One BTEC National Certificate at grades DD plus a pass in two Key Skill at Level 3
- One BTEC National Certificate at grades DD plus one AS-level at grade C
BTEC Nationals (QCF)
- One BTEC Extended Diploma (Level 3) at grades DMM
- One BTEC Extended Diploma (Level 3) at grades MMM plus a pass in two Key Skill at Level 3
- One BTEC Diploma (Level 3) at grades D*D*
- One BTEC Subsidiary Diploma (Level 3) at grade D* plus one A2-level at grade A*
Advanced Diplomas, Progression Diplomas and Principle Learning elements
- One Progression Diploma at grade B (worth 250 points) plus one Grade 6 Practical Music Examination at Merit grade, etc.
- One Advanced Diploma, including the Progression Diploma at grade C plus one A2-level at grade C, etc.
- One Principle Learning element at grade A plus one A2-level at grade B, etc.
Diploma in Foundation Studies (Art & Design)
- One Diploma in Foundation Studies at Distinction grade (worth 285 points)
- One Welsh Baccalaureate Core pass (at Level 3) plus two A2-levels at grades CC, etc.
- The options elements will still be counted if an applicant does not achieve the full Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Diploma.
- Three Advanced Highers at grades BBD
- One Advanced Higher at grade C plus three Highers at grades BBB (worth 285 points), etc.
- Four Highers at grades AAAC, etc.
Irish Leaving Certificates
- Four Higher Certificates at grades A2, B1, B1, B2 (worth 264 points), etc.
- One IB Diploma at grade 25
- Three IB Higher Levels at grades 5,4,4 plus three IB Standard Levels at grades 5,5,3 (worth 293 points), etc.
Access to HE Diploma
Students would usually be expected to successfully complete their Access to HE Diploma and have achieved at least 30 level 3 credits at merit and/or distinction.