Programme leader BSc (Hons) Criminological and Forensic Psychology
Module lead for Applications in Forensic Psychology and Psychology of Law and Justice.
Modules which I currently teach on: Applied Psychology, Psychology and Crime, Research Methods in Psychology, Applied Experience, Quantitative Inquiry 1: Investigating Multivariate Relationships.
I am a chartered Psychologist and have held academic positions since 2008 in both research and lecturing posts. Prior to my academic career, I worked within the prison service (both male Category B and Category C prisons), providing psychological services to offenders and I held the position of treatment manager of an offending behaviour treatment programme. I also have experience working within youth offending services and alongside forensic community mental health teams. I completed my PhD in 2012 at the University of Manchester which focused on the effectiveness of a joint crisis planning intervention for service users with severe mental illness, in reducing compulsory detention under the Mental Health Act. I have a particular research interest in disparities in mental health service needs and treatment provision for ethnic minority groups and am currently supervising PhD students around the topics of mental illness and hope.
My main teaching commitments are within the BSc (Hons) Criminological and Forensic Psychology programme which I lead. In 2015 I was instrumental in developing a Memorandum of Understanding between Greater Manchester Police (GMP) and the University of Bolton. Following this, I am working on research projects alongside GMP and working collaboratively to promote student opportunities for involvement in local restorative justice work.
(previous name, Brown)
- WAHEED W, WOODHAM A, HUGHES-MORLEY A, ALLEN G, BOWER P. (2015). Overcoming barriers to recruiting ethnic minorities to mental health research: a typology of recruitment strategies. BMC Psychiatry. DOI 10.1186/s12888-015-0484-z
- WAHEED W, HUSSAIN N, ALLEN G, ATIF N, ASEEM S, WAQUAS A, GARRETT C, SHEIKH S, SYED A, GASK L, BOWER P. (2015). Recruitment strategies for British South Asians in 5 depression trials: a mixed method study. Journal of Affective Disorders. Doi:10.1016/j.jad.2015.06.046
- FARRELLY S, BROWN G, ROSE D, DOHERTY E, HENDERSON C, BIRCHWOOD M, MARSHALL M, SZMUKLER G, WAHEED W, THORNICROFT G. (2014) What Service Users with psychotic disorders want in a mental health crisis or relapse – a thematic analysis of Joint Crisis Plans. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. DOI: 10.1007/s00127-014-0869-1
- FARRELLY S, BROWN G, SZMUKLER G, ROSE D, BIRCHWOOD M, MARSHALL M, WAHEED W, THORNICROFT G. (2014). Can the Therapeutic Relationship predict 18 month outcomes for individuals with psychosis? Schizophrenia Research. DOI: 10.1016/j.psychres.2014.07.032
- BROWN G, WOODHAM A, WAHEED A, FARRELLY S, BIRCHWOOD M, SZMUKLER G, MARSHALL M, THORNICROFT G, WAHEED W. (2014) Recruiting South Asians into a mental health randomised controlled trial: experiences of field researchers. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities 1:181-193. DOI: 10.1007/s40615-014-0024-4
- BROWN G, MARSHALL M, BOWER P, WOODHAM A, WAHEED W. (2014). Barriers to recruiting ethnic minorities to mental health research: A systematic review. International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research. 23(1) 36-48.DOI: 10.1002/mpr.1434
- FARRELLY S, BROWN G, FLACH C, BARLEY E, LAUGHARNE R, HENDERSON C. (2013)User-held personalised information for routine care of people with severe mental illness. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 10. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD001711.pub2