Dr. Chan H. See received a first class BEng Honours degree in Electronic, Telecommunication and Computer Engineering and a PhD degree from the University of Bradford, UK in 2002 and 2007 respectively. Currently, He is a senior lecturer in Electrical & Electronic Engineering within the Engineering, Sport and Sciences (ESS) Academic Group, University of Bolton, UK. Previously, he was a senior research fellow in the Antennas and Applied Electromagnetics research group within the University of Bradford, UK. From November 2006 to February 2009, he was pointed as a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) Associate which was sponsored by Yorkshire Water Services (YWS), UK. This work focused on the development of wireless low cost communication system to monitor the drainage infrastructure owned by YWS. Dr See is a Chartered Engineer, Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (MIET) and Senior Member of Institution of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (SMIEEE). He has an NVQ level 4 in Management from the Chartered Management Institute. He is also a Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
- Advanced Mechatronic Systems (Level 3)
- Electronic Engineering for Mechatronics (Level 3)
- Engineering Electromagnetism (Level 3)
- Advanced Biomechatronic Systems (Level 3)
- Biosignal Processing (Level 3)
- Biomechatronics (Level 2)
- Engineering Modelling and Analysis (Level 2)
- Instrumentation and control (Level 2)
- Introductory Mathematics Engineering (Level 1)
- Biomedical Sensory Devices and Measurement (Level 1)
Area of Expertise
My overarching research interests are multi-disciplinary and have a number of cross cutting themes that include research in computational electromagnetics, acoustic sensor technologies, wireless sensor network and antenna design with the application of theoretical, computational and analytical approaches. Specific themes include:
- Electromagnetic hybrid numerical methods, such as, (MoM/FDTD) and (FEM/FDTD) for complex electromagnetic problems
- Antenna/Antenna-filter/tunable antenna/MIMO antenna designs for wireless communication systems
- Health issues and hazards on using Mobile handsets/Portable devices
- RF and Microwave circuit designs
- Optimisation techniques, e.g. Genetic algorithms and Particle Swarm for antenna design applications
- Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) design and implementation for sewer infrastructure monitoring
- Low cost acoustic sensor design for blockage and leakage detection
- Bio-implantable sensor designs and Portable microwave sensors for cancer detections
Selected Indicators of Esteem
- Associate Editor of IEEE Access Journal
Honorary Visiting Research Fellow, University of Bradford, UK, 2014-2017
Asia-Pacific Radio Science Conference (AP-RASC’10), Young Scientist Award, Toyama, Japan, September 2010. **This conference is sponsored by International Union of Radio Science (URSI) and The Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers (IEICE)
- A completed KTP project (no.1421) has been recognised by the British Technology Strategy Board (TSB) as outstanding and awarded the project a Grade A which is a highest grade achieved by only 4% of completed UK KTP projects. A Certificate of Excellent has been awarded in 2009 for this achievement.
- The XXIX General Assembly of the International Union of Radio Science (Union Radio Scientifique Internationale-URSI) URSI Young Scientist Award, United States National Committee of The International Union of Radio Science, Chicago USA, August 2008
Selected Refereed Journal Articles
C.H.See, R.A. Abd-Alhameed, A.A. Atojoko, N.J. McEwan and P.S. Excell, “Link Budget Maximization for a Mobile-Band Subsurface Wireless Sensor in Challenging Water Utility Environments”, IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, vol.65, no.1, pp.616-625, Jan. 2018.
C.H.See, R.A. Abd-Alhameed, A.Ghani, N.J. McEwan, P.S. Excell and Q.Balzano, “Calibration Model for Detection of Potential Demodulating Behaviour in Biological Media Exposed to RF Energy,” IET Science, Measurement and Techniques ,vol.11, no.7, pp.900-906, October 2017
T. Mueller, C.H. See, A. Ghani, A. Bati, P. Thiemann, "Direct flux control – Sensorless control method of PMSM for all speeds – basics and constraints," Electronic Letters, Vol.53, pp.1110-1111, August 2017.
A.F. Mirza, C.H. See,, A.Rameez, R.A. Abd-Alhameed, J.M. Noras, R.W. Clarke and P.S. Excell, “ An Active Microwave System for Near Field Imaging,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol.17, no.9, pp.2749-2758, May 2017
- H. Plihal, F. Kretschmer, M. T. Bin Ali, C.H. See, A. Romanova, K.V. Horoshenkov and Th. Ertl,, “A novel method for rapid inspection of sewer networks: Combining acoustic and Optical means,” Urban Water Journal, vol.13, no.1, pp.3-14, 2016
- I.T.E. Elfergani, A.S. Hussaini, C.H. See R. A. Abd-Alhameed, N.J. McEwan, S.Zhu, J. Rodriguez and R.W. Clarke, “Compact Monopole Antenna with Tuneable Band-Notched Characteristic for Use in Mobile and UWB Applications,” International Journal of RF and Microw. Computer-Aided Engineering, vol.25, no. 5, pp.403-412, June 2015
- F. Zhu,S-C. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, C.H. See, T.W.C. Brown, J. Li, G. Wei and J-D. Xu, “Ultra-Wideband Dual-Polarized Patch Antenna With Four Capacitively Coupled Feeds,” IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, vol.62, no.5, pp.2240-2249, 2014
- C.H. See, R.A. Abd-Alhameed, N.J. McEwan, S.M.R. Jones, R Asif and P.S. Excell, “Design of Printed MIMO/Diversity Monopole Antenna for Future Generation Handheld Devices”, International Journal of RF and Microw. Computer-Aided Engineering, vol.24, no.3, pp.348-359, 2014
- F. Zhu, S. Gao, T. Ho, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, C.H. See, T. Brown, J. Li, G. Wei and J.Xu, ,“Multiple Band-Notched UWB Antenna with Band-Rejected Elements Integrated in the Feed Line,” IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, vol.61, no.8, pp.3952-3960, Aug. 2013
- C.H. See, R.A. Abd-Alhameed, H.I. Hraga, N.J. McEwan, P.S. Excell, and J.M. Noras ,“A Low-Profile Ultra-Wideband Modified Planar Inverted-F Antenna,” IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, vol.61, no. 1, pp.100-108, 2013.
- K. Ramli, R.A. Abd-Alhameed, C.H. See, P.S. Excell, and J.M. Noras, “Hybrid Computational Scheme for Antenna-Human Body Interaction,” Progress In Electromagnetics Research (PIER), vol. 133, pp.117-136, 2013.
- C.H. See, R.A. Abd-Alhameed, Z.Z. Abidin, N.J. McEwan and P.S. Excell, “Wideband Printed MIMO/Diversity Monopole Antenna for WiFi/WiMAX Applications,” IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, vol.60, no.4, pp.2028-2035, April 2012
- A.G. Alhaddad, R.A. Abd-Alhameed, D. Zhou, C.H. See and P.S. Excell, “Floded Loop Balaced Coplanar Antenna for WLAN Applications,” IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, vol.60, no.10, pp.4916-4920, Oct. 2012
- C.H. See, R.A. Abd-Alhameed, S.W.J. Chung, D. Zhou, H. Al-Ahmad, and P.S. Excell, “The Design of a Resistively Loaded Bowtie Antenna for Applications in Breast Cancer Detection Systems,” IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, vol.60, no.5, pp.2526-2530, May 2012.
- C.H. See, K.V. Horoshenkov, R.A.Abd-Alhameed, Y.F. Hu and S.J. Tait ,“A Low Power Wireless Sensor Network for Gully Pot Monitoring in Urban Catchments”, IEEE Sensors Journal, vol.12, no. 5, pp.1545-1553, May 2012.
- C.H. See, R.A. Abd-Alhameed, D.Zhou, H.I.Hraga and P.S Excell, “A Broadband Dual Planar Inverted F-Antenna for WLAN/WiMAX and Lower-band UWB Wireless Applications”, IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, vol.5, no.6, pp.644-650, 2011.
- C.H. See, R.A. Abd-Alhameed, D.Zhou, T.H.Lee, and P.S Excell, “A Crescent-shaped Multiband Planar Monopole Antenna for Mobile Wireless Applications”, IEEE Antenna Wireless Propagation Letters, vol.9, pp.152-155, 2010.
- R. A. Abd-Alhameed, D. Zhou, C.H. See, and P. S. Excell, "A Wire-Grid Adaptive Meshing Program for Microstrip Patch Antenna Designs Using a Genetic Algorithm", IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol.51, no.1, pp. 147-151, Feb 2009
- C.H. See, R.A. Abd-Alhameed, D.Zhou and P.S. Excell, “Dual-Frequency Planar Inverted F-L-Antenna (PIFLA) for WLAN and Short Range Communication Systems”, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol.56, No.10, pp.3318-3320, Oct. 2008
- C.H. See, R.A. Abd-Alhameed and P.S. Excell, “Computation of Electromagnetic Fields in Assemblages of Biological Cells Using a Modified Finite Difference Time Domain Scheme”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol.55, no.9, pp.1986-1994, Sept. 2007.