Lecturer in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Dr Akram Bati has over 28 years' experience in academia and the power industry and now lectures in electrical and electronic engineering at the University of Bolton. Previously he worked on the European Green Vehicle Initiative FP7 project (Free Moby) at the University of Surrey. From 2013 to 2015 he worked for Cranfield University managing the Electrical Power and Drive Laboratory (ePAD), where research was being conducted into an intelligent grid interfaced vehicle eco-charging project (iGIVE- co-funded by the EPSRC and NSFC), electric motor drives and smart power grids alongside teaching and MSc and PhD project supervision activities.
Prior to that he was academic visitor to the Offshore, Process and Energy Engineering department of the School of Engineering at Cranfield. From 1988 to 2011, he worked as an academic at many international universities (in the Middle East and Africa including University of Technology, Baghdad University, and Babylon University of Iraq, Mutah University of Jordan and Kwazulu Natal University of South Africa).
During that period, he also worked with international companies specialising in the power industry sector such as General Electric, Bechtel and Washington Group International. Here he supervised testing and commissioning of new power distribution substations 11/33/132 and 400 kV as well as training on the job (TOJ) of operation and maintenance (O&M) for junior engineers working at thermal power plants .
His main area of research is power system stability improvement by the application of control and FACTS (Flexible AC Transmission Systems) devices, servomechanism of flying objects, induction heating, wind turbine control and inductive wireless power transfer.
He has participated on the Technical Programme Committee of many IEEE conferences on power engineering and smart grids, and is a regular peer reviewer of IEEE Transactions on power systems, power quality and power electronics. Recently, he became a member of the EPSRC peer review college on wind turbine control and power quality.
He has supervised 32 MSc and 15 PhD students abroad and at Cranfield so far and has acted as external examiner for 48 MSc and 7 PhD students abroad before joining Cranfield.
Recent research interests
- Smart Micro Grid Load Flow and Stability (iGIVE project)
- Multiterminal DC transmission of offshore wind farms
- D-STATCOM application on energy storage and renewables in a Micro Grid
- Wind and Tidal Turbines control
- Wireless Power Transfer in Electric Vehicle applications
- Low Carbon Optimum Power Dispatch of Micro Grids (Free Moby project)
Recent teaching and supervision activities
- Electrical Machines and Power Electronic Drives EEE6001 (PSS/E, CYME, PSIM, SIMetrix , and MATLAB/SIMULINK packages)
- Engineering Electromagnetism EEE6002
- Introductory Electrical Principles EEE4002
- Introductory Digital Electronics EEE4003
- Instrumentation and Control EEE5001
- Renewable Energies EEE6006
- Medical Sensory Devices and Measurements BME4004
- Part of Advanced Control Systems
- Electric grid sub-module of Power Electronics and Machines
- Lecturing part of Testing & Certification Module
- Supervision of 10 MSc IRP’s (academic years 2013-2014, 2014-2015)
- Supervision of 6 PhD students (academic years 2013-2014, 2014-2015)
Qualifications and memberships
- BSc, MSc, PhD in Electrical Power Engineering
GE, BECHTEL, WGI, ABB, Leroy Somer, Emerson, Control Techniques, LifeBatt, SEW Eurodrive, Lucas-Nulle, HANNING & KAHL, and GmbH & Co KG.
1. Bati A., “Optimal interaction between PSS, and FACTS Devices in damping power systems oscillations: part II” ENERGYCON 2010 Conference, 18-22 Dec. 2010, Bahrain.
2. Bati A. “Optimal interaction between PSS, and FACTS Devices in damping power systems oscillations: part I”, The7th International IEEE Multi-Conference on Systems, Signals and Devices (SSD'10), Jordan, 27-29 June 2010.
3. Bati A., Kasim Rashid ,Safa Khudair “ a new methodology to the control problem of horizontal axis wind power plants using adaptive neural network”, Proceedings of the 17th World Congress The International Federation of Automatic Control Seoul, Korea, July 6- 11, pp. 15921-15926 ,2008.
4. Bati A. F., Odienat A., Adam N.”Genetic Algorithm Based Tuned Neural Networks for Power System Controllers”, Mutah Lil-Buhuth Wad-Dirasat, Vol. 22, No.3, 2007. pp.91-109.
5. Ahmad A. , Bati A. F., Abdul-Baki E. M.” A Study of Eddy currents in a Linear Induction Furnace Using Finite Element Method” Technology and Engineering Journal , Vol. 3, No.1,University of Technology, Baghdad, Iraq , July 2007.
6. Bati A. F., S. Leiab “ NN self-Tuning pitch angle controller of wind power Generation Unit”, 2006 IEEE power systems conference, Atlanta GA USA, proceeding ,pp.2019-2029.
7. BatiA. F., .; Fadhil A. Abood, .; Adil H. Ahmad, .; Essam M. Abdul-Baki, ., ”Modelling of Induction Heating Process of a Conducting Ferromagnetic Materials “ Journal of Engineering, University of Baghdad, Iraq , Vol. 6, No. 2, 2006.
8. Bati A. F. “Optimal shunt capacitor placement in distribution systems using a genetic algorithm" Iraqi Journal of Computer- Control- Communication Engineering, Vol.4, No.2, pp.(79- 91), 2004.
9. Bati A. F. , S. A. Hasan “ A proposed PWM technique for harmonics elimination of inverters” Eng. And Tech. Journal, university of Technology, Baghdad, Iraq, pp(898-906),Vol.21,No.12,2002.
10. Bati A. F. " On-line computer control of synchronous generator excitation system using state estimator and state-feedback “ Engineering and Technology journal, pp(70-81),Vol.11,No.1,1992.
11. Akram F. Batti, .; Abdul-Karim Z. Mansur,.; Fadhil A. Abood, . Essam M. Abdul-Baki, ” Electromagnetic Thermal Coupled Analysis of a Linear Induction Furnace with Rotational Symmetry” Journal of Engineering and Development, Vol. 12, No. 1,March (2008) ISSN 1813-7822
12. Bati, A., “Damping of Power Systems Oscillations by Using STATCOM GA-based Optimal Controllers” The IEEE ISGT ME-2011 Conference , Jeddah , Saudi Arabia, 18-20 Dec. 2011.
13. Bati A., Brennan F., "The Operation of 50 KW Vertical Axis Wind Turbine Generating Unit” Asian Transactions on Engineering (ATE ISSN: 2221 - 4267) Volume 02 Issue 04, Sept. 2012.
14. Samer Aldhaher, Patrick C. K. Luk Senior , Akram Bati, "Wireless Power Transfer Using Class E Inverter with Saturable DC-Feed Inductor", EEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 2014.
15. Samer Aldhaher, Patrick Luk, Akram Bati”Electronic Tuning of a High Frequency DC/AC Inverter for Inductive Power Transfer”, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 2014.
16. A. Bati , P. C. K. Luk,”Analysis of Drive-Train Resonance and Torque Ripple Smoothing of a 50kW Vertical Axis Wind Turbine”, IEEE ICIT conference, Seville, Spain, 17-19 March 2015.
17. M. AL-Saadi, P. C. K. Luk, W. Fei , A. Bati ,” Security Constrained Active and Reactive Optimal Power Management of Microgrid in Different Market Policies”, 11TH UKACC International Conference on Control, 31st August - 2nd September 2016, Belfast, UK.
18. M. AL-Khafaji, P. C. K. Luk , A. Bati,” Integration of electric vehicle within micro grid”, 11TH UKACC International Conference on Control, 31st August - 2nd September 2016 , Belfast, UK.