We provide information, advice and guidance on a wide range of issues, both academic and personal.

The following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are typical of some of the more common queries we regularly answer.


I'm not sure who I need to talk to, can I talk to you?

Yes. If we can't help you directly we usually know someone who can. The student advisors in the student centre can also guide you on who to contact.

I'm experiencing some problems that are affecting my studies, what can I do?

If you have assignments to hand in and/or exams to sit it may be possible to request that the assessment board takes into account your exceptional and unforeseen circumstances; to do this you must submit your request in writing in a completed Mitigating Circumstances envelope before the published deadlines. You will need to include a covering letterdescribing your personal circumstances that you believe have adversely affected your performance, together with original documentary evidence confirming your circumstances. It is essential that the envelope is completed correctly and that you include all significant information, if you are in any doubt please contact us so that we can advise you further.
General advice on the requirements and the mitigating circumstances envelope are available from the student advisors in the Student Centre.

I'm worried that my course is not right for me. Can you help?

If you’re having doubts about your course it’s important that you talk them through with someone. If you’re not confident about raising your concerns with your personal tutor then you’re welcome to contact us to discuss your options in confidence. Please do not make a hasty decision to leave your course without first discussing the implications and your possible options.

I need to take some time out for personal reasons. How can I do this?

It may be possible for you to temporarily suspend your studies. To do this you will need to complete a suspension of studies form (SDM8 form available from the student advisors in the Student Centre) which must be approved by your Programme Leader and agree a date on which you intend to return.
You should be aware that any decision to take time out from your studies may have financial implications (for example tuition and accommodation fees) and if you are an International Student studying in the UK on a student visa there may be implications for your immigration status. Therefore we strongly recommend that you contact the student centre for expert advice and guidance.
Please also note usually the dates for outstanding work are not suspended when you suspend study. If you feel unable to submit your outstanding work you should consider applying for Mitigating Circumstances. Please contact us so that we can advise you further.

Can you proof-read my assignment for me?

No, we do not offer a proof-reading service. We do offer one-to-one tutorials to support you with your academic work based upon a sample of your writing; feedback will focus on areas such as structure, appropriate academic writing style and referencing.


If you can't find the answer you're looking for please complete the form below or email slo@bolton.ac.uk and we will contact you as soon as possible.

  • Name

April 2016