Funding for full-time Further Education courses 2016/17

Please note details given for 2016/17 are provisional and are subject to change.

Tuition fees:  Please note tuition fees and registration fees for Access courses commencing from September 2016 can be obtained from the invoicing department: Telephone 01204 903951.

For Further Education (Access to Higher Education) courses there is no government funding available for living costs.

Payment of tuition fees:

For students aged 16-18 no tuition fee or registration fee is payable.

Students aged 19-23 who have not previously successfully completed full Level 3 qualifications may be eligible for tuition fee and registration fee remission.

For students aged over 19 who have previously attained a full Level 3 qualification there is an Advanced Learner Loan (tuition fee loan) available from the Student Loans Company subject to eligibility:

Advanced Learner Loan:

 An Advanced Learner Loan (tuition fee loan) may be available for U.K. students for Further Education (Access to Higher Education) courses which are funded by the Skills Funding Agency (SFA). The loan is non means tested and you will start to repay when you have completed the course and are earning a minimum of £21,000. If you progress to and successfully complete a Higher Education (HE) programme of study, the Access course loan will be written off on completion of the HE course.

For full eligibility for the loans and to apply please visit: Student Loans Company helpline number: 0300 100 0619

Advanced Learner Loan Bursary

For students who have applied for and received the Advanced Learner Loan, there may be a discretionary bursary available from the university. Application forms will be available in the Student Centre Chancellor’s Mall after enrolment. The maximum award is £500 plus a further £500 for childcare costs, both subject to an income and expenditure assessment.

Please note Polymaths is not classed as an Access course for Skills Funding Agency funding, and there is no funding available for either tuition fees or living costs for this course.

The various forms of funding available for full-time Access courses are listed below with eligibility criteria:

 Care to Learn

What is it for?

If you’re under 20 and have one or more children, Care to Learn can help with the cost of your childcare while you're learning.

Who is eligible?

Your age – to get Care to Learn, you must be under 20 years old on the day your course or learning programme begins.

As long as you begin the course before you are 20, Care to Learn will contribute towards your childcare costs until the course has finished.

Residency – To make a new claim for Care to Learn, you must:

  • live in England, and
  • be either a British citizen or a national of another country within the European Economic Area (EEA) or the child of a Swiss national or Turkish migrant worker.

If you don’t meet these conditions, you may still be able to get Care to Learn. For advice, call the Learner Support Service on 0800 121 8989 – or check the guidance notes that come with the application form.

Additional requirements – You must be the main carer for the child

You can claim Care to Learn either as the child’s father or mother, as long as:

  • the other parent is unable to provide childcare (because, for example, they are working)
  • the other parent is not claiming the childcare element of Working Tax Credit

If you have more than one child, you can get help for each of them.

To get Care to Learn, you must use a childcare provider which is registered with Ofsted. Registration means that the childcare must meet certain safety and quality standards.

Your options might include a childminder, day nursery, pre-school playgroup or out-of-school club.

If you want a relative to look after your child, you’ll only be able to get Care to Learn if the relative is registered with Ofsted and providing care for other children.

How much?

You could get up to £160 per child per week.

How do I apply?

Applications are available directly from caretolearn or by telephoning 0800 121 8989

How is it paid?

Directly to your registered childcare provider.

Does it have to be paid back?


Further information


 Residential Support Scheme

What is it for?

The Residential Support Scheme may provide help towards the cost of accommodation if you are studying a course which is not available in your local area.

Who is eligible?

Your age – you must be over 16-18 on 27 August in the academic year in which the programme of study commences.

Residency – You must be settled and have been ordinarily resident in England for at least three years prior to the start of your course.

Being settled means having one of the following:

  • right of abode in the UK
  • 'indefinite leave to enter' or 'indefinite leave to remain'

Household Income - Your household income must be below £30,993.

Your course - The course of study must:

  • be outside a 'reasonable daily travelling distance' from your home - and there cannot be similar courses available locally
  • be for your first level 2 or level 3 qualification
  • involve at least 16 guided learning hours or more per week, and be of at least 10 weeks’ duration
  • be SFA-funded
How much?

You could get up to £3458 towards residential living costs per year for a maximum of three years depending on household income.

How do I apply?

Applications are available directly from or by telephoning 0800 121 8989

How is it paid?

Directly to the university.

Does it have to be paid back?


Further information


 Discretionary Learner Support

What is it for?

Funding is available for full-time Further Education students aged 19 or over at commencement of the course of study, studying at University of Bolton. The purpose of the grant is to provide a contribution towards general course costs. Home (U.K.) students are eligible to apply for support.

Who is eligible?

Priority students are:

  • Students with children, especially lone parents;
  • Disabled students;

Applications can still be considered from single students.

An income and expenditure assessment will be carried out on each application received.

How much?

If you are a priority student you may be eligible for a grant of up to £500, single students may be eligible for a grant of £250.

How do I apply?

You should complete an application form available from the Student Centre, Chancellor’s Mall and indicate on the application form that you are applying for Further Education Funding.

How is it paid?

Direct in to your bank account.

Does it have to be paid back?


Further information


Funding Advice Service contact details

If you want to enquire about the availability of funding, require help with budgeting or a more detailed discussion, the Student Funding Advisor is available by e-mail, telephone or face to face at drop-in sessions in the Student Centre.

Student Funding Advisor

Ms Karen Bentley

Tel: 01204 903497 

Bursaries and Scholarships Advisor

Mrs Carol Gray


Tel: 01204 903499



You may also wish to visit the Government website which provides more information on all of the above awards:

This information is provided as a guide only. Information is correct at the time of writing. You are advised to contact the organisations identified for further information and regulations.

Page last reviewed and updated April 2017.