Residents must be aware of the Fire Regulations and evacuation procedures. All fire doors must be kept closed; fire equipment must never be tampered with. Any use of fire equipment for whatever reason, must be reported to the Warden’s office.

All residents must attend a Fire Lecture scheduled for the beginning of each trimester. Failure to attend a Fire Lecture could result in termination of your contract and eviction.

All residents must leave their flat when the fire alarm sounds. Evacuation is essential even if it is a false alarm or a fire drill. Accommodation may be checked to ensure that you have complied with this requirement. 

Under no circumstances are the following allowed in the Halls:

  • Chip pans and Deep Fat Fryers
  • Candles
  • Incense
  • Heating Appliances (except with prior approval)
  • Flammable liquids or gases such as lighter fluid, butane or propane

Residents will be charged for any damage or misuse of fire equipment. Where it is impossible to identify the individual(s) responsible, any charges will be shared amongst the Residents sharing the facility, who will be held jointly liable. Tampering with fire safety equipment is a criminal offence and could lead to your eviction from the Halls.

Fire Lectures

All residents of the Halls are contractually obliged to attend a Fire Lecture. Fire Lectures are incorporated in to the Welcome Presentation which are run at the start of each trimester. The presentation lasts up to an hour and is delivered by both University staff and external organisations.

If you havent attended a Fire Lecture and are currently residing in the Halls please check the dates of the next lecture with a member of Halls staff . If you continually fail to attend a fire lecture then you maybe subject to disciplinary procedures.

Fire Safety in the Kitchen

In your kitchen do:

  • always cook with the extractor fan on and a window open
  • keep the fire door to your kitchen closed at all times
  • switch off all cooking appliances when you have finished with them
  • if you burn food whilst cooking please open a window to let the smoke escape (don't open the kitchen door to the corridor unless you are required to evacuate the kitchen)
  • follow the instructions for cooking, don't exceed times or cooking temperatures. If you are unsure of how to cook something please ask either a flat mate or a member of Halls staff
  • keep the top of your cooker and hobs clean at all times, food residue left in these areas can catch fire
  • keep your grill pan clean and free from fat or grease build ups which can easily ignite
  • keep the inside of your oven or microwave combination oven clean for the same reasons
  • keep evacuation routes clear and free of obstructions
  • turn saucepan handles so they don't protrude over the front of the hob/cooker or over adjacent hobs/rings
  • take care if you are wearing loose fitting clothing, it is very easy to catch your sleeve on a hot hob.

In your kitchen do not:

  • prop or wedge open the kitchen door, the kitchen doors are fire doors and they separate the kitchen from the corridor, failure to close a kitchen door can lead to the smoke detector in the hallway sounding the alarm
  • tamper with or cover any of the smoke detectors, do not play with the fire blankets provided or remove these from the wall unless they are needed. Tampering with a smoke detector is a criminal offence and if you are found responsible for tampering with any fire safety equipment you may be evicted
  • never leave cooking unattended, if you need to leave the kitchen turn off the heat source and stop cooking, ensure anything hot is placed in a safe environment
  • use chip pans or deep fat fryers these are banned in the Halls
  • throw water on to pans or grills which are hot or place very hot pans under the cold tap, steam can burn
  • add water to oil or put wet food in to a hot fat, if you are adding food to oil ensure the food is dried on a paper towel first. Ensure oil isn't so hot that it is smoking, smoking oil is a sign that it is near ignition point. You can easily test the temperature of cooking oil by placing a small piece of bread in the oil, if the bread crisps up quickly (less than 20 seconds), the oil is ready
  • use metal foil or melamine containers in microwaves
  • cook in bedrooms
  • overload sockets, one plug per socket
  • cook if you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

 

Fire Doors

All internal doors in the Halls of Residence are fire doors, most are fitted with door closure devices. Students who remove the door closure or who prop open doors are endangering the lives of others and are in breach of contract. Halls staff will request you close any door left open, if they have to speak to you again about the same thing you will be subject to disciplinary procedures.

What can happen when this advice isn't followed?

On 4th November, 2012 a chip pan was left on a hob which wasn't turned off. The oil got so hot it ignited. The fire was relatively small but the smoke caused significant damage. The fire door to the corridor worked and stopped the spread of the smoke, the kitchen window was open which allowed the room to ventilate. The fire alarms sounded and students evacuated to safety. The damage was extensive.

OrlandoVillageFireDamage

Students Who Smoke

If you smoke and didn't apply for/have not been allocated a smoking room please speak with a member of Halls staff. Students who cover the smoke detector in their bedroom because they smoke will be subject to disciplinary procedures.

Always ensure your cigarette is disposed of in a safe manner, empty ashtrays regularly and don't smoke in bed.