Please see your specific country page for detailed information about entry requirements and your eligibility. Please search for your course and look under the 'key information' tab for specific course requirements.
The University is committed to giving equal consideration to factors other than formal academic qualifications such as work experience and vocational qualifications – so remember to include anything you think is relevant in your application.
If you are applying from a country where your education is not taught in the English language, then you will need to have a suitable English language qualification for the reasons below:
- To make your life in the UK as a student easier
- To enable you to understand your lectures
- To enable you to perform well in written assessments and examinations
- To ultimately pass your course
We expect applicants to have passed the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with the following scores:
International Foundation Programme
Please note that all IELTS tests are only valid for 2 years from the date of testing, any qualifications that exceed this will not be accepted.
Where Evidence of English Language proficiency is required, we currently accept the following qualifications for admission onto our courses at degree level or above:
- GCSE/O-Level in English from a UK awarding body grade C
- IELTS (Academic) 6.0 (UG), 6.5 (PG) (no less than 5.5 in any component),
- Irish Leaving Certificate Ordinary Level English grade C/C3 or above
- Irish Leaving Certificate Higher Level English grade D/D2 or above
- IGCSE English as a First Language grade C
- IGCSE English as a Second Language grade C
- Internet based TOEFL with an overall score of 72 (UG), 79 (PG) including 17 in Listening, 20 in Writing, 18 in Reading and 18 in Speaking
- International Baccalaureate (Standard Level Grade 5/Higher Level grade 4 in English)
- Cambridge Advanced English Grade C (minimum of “weak” in all four components (listening, reading, speaking and writing)
Alternative International qualifications (taught entirely in English) may also be considered
- Malaysia UCLES 1119 Syllabus Grade C or above
- Singapore Cambridge O/A level Grade C
- WAEC/NECO grade C6 or above
- Zambia Second School Certificate Grade 6 or above
Majority English-Speaking countries
If you are a national of one of the following countries, or have successfully completed an academic qualification at degree level or above from one of these countries, you may be exempt from submitting further evidence of English language proficiency:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- New Zealand
- St Kitts and Nevis
- St Lucia
- St Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
For Tier 4 purposes
If you have completed an academic qualification, which was taught in one of the above listed countries, you must also submit an original statement of comparability from UK NARIC confirming that the qualification meets or exceeds the level of a UK degree.
For Foundation and Pre-sessional English Language courses, only IELTS for UKVI tests taken at an approved IELTS centre are acceptable for those wishing to apply for a Tier 4 visa. Please see the link for UKVI approved test centres in your region.
For more information on our Pre-sessional courses and the entry requirements please visit our International website
The English language requirements detailed here are for guidance only. Some courses may have a higher requirement. You should always refer to your offer letter issued by the University as this will detail any English Language requirements specific to the course you have applied for.
If you don't meet these language requirements, we offer English Language programmes from IELTS 4 throughout the year for International students who do not have the required level of English for entry onto one of our programmes. This means that if you do not fulfil the above criteria you may still be given an offer for your chosen programme which will request that you complete an English Language course prior to the start of your degree.
If you have any other English language qualification and would like to know if we accept it please email firstname.lastname@example.org the subject of your email should be ENGLISH LANGUAGE QUALIFICATION CHECK.