History of the University of Bolton
The University traces its history to the Bolton Mechanics' Institute, established in 1825 alongside similar institutions formed to serve the educational needs of employers and their workers in the northern industrial towns and which formed the basis of a number of today's universities.
During the 19th and 20th centuries, technical and vocational education grew in Bolton, closely aligned with the growth of the textiles and engineering industries, leading to the foundation of the Bolton Technical School in 1891, which became the Bolton Technical College in 1936.
Higher level courses were transferred to the new Bolton Institute of Technology in 1966 and in 1982 the Institute merged with the Bolton College of Education (Technical), established in 1947 as one of four specialist centres for the training of teachers for the post-compulsory sector, to form the Bolton Institute of Higher Education.
Taught degree awarding powers were granted to the Institute in 1992 at the same time as the former polytechnics including the Manchester Metropolitan University, the University of Central Lancashire and the Leeds Metropolitan University.
Research degree awarding powers were gained in 1996 and the Institute was awarded university title in 2005, becoming the University of Bolton.
The University's legal name is The University of Bolton higher education corporation.
As a higher education corporation, the University is a statutory body established under the provisions of the Education Reform Act 1988 and enjoys charitable status as an exempt charity.
The University is autonomous and responsible for the management of its own affairs.