How do I prove that I am allowed to work?

Your visa is evidence that you are allowed to work in the UK. You should show your visa to your employer. Your employer can also phone the UK Border Agency helpline on 0300 123 4699.

You may need to give your employer evidence of your term dates so that they can be sure when you can work full-time.

What obligations does my employer have towards me?

UK employers have a number of legal duties towards their employees. These include anti-discrimination measures, health and safety requirements, the obligation to pay the minimum wage, comply with laws relating to maximum working hours and breaks, pay National Insurance contributions, and provide wage slips.

What is a National Insurance number and do I need one?

If you intend to work in the UK you will need to apply for a National Insurance (NI) number. This is a personal number that is allocated to each individual, and is used by the Inland Revenue to work out your National Insurance contributions when you start in employment.

You cannot be paid until you have an NI number. Your employer will ask you for this number when you start working.

Appointments and necessary documentation needed to apply for a National Insurance number have to be made by telephoning 0845 600 0643.

Can I work after I have finished my studies?

On completing your studies you may work full-time, but only until your visa expires, provided this is not more than 4 months. The same conditions apply, and so you cannot accept a permanent full-time vacancy during this time.

If your visa expiry date is more than 4 months from the end date of your course, please contact the international office for advice.

If you wish to continue working in the UK beyond these 4 months, you must change your visa to one of those in the employment categories. For more information please visit UKCISA.

How do I find a job?

To help you look for part-time and vacation work please visit our Job Shop pages. Also see our looking for work, job hunting skills and careers resources sections of the website.